○ one ○

The silence is so nice, and so rare. I wonder if I'll ever be able to experience this kind of silence ever again.

The tent was opened and Belinda's trance was lost. She sighed and stood up. "What is it, Hogan?"

"Demons, only a few miles away."

Belinda dusted herself off. "How did they get this far?"

"They must have slaughtered the troops up ahead." Hogan frowned. "Poor families."

She gave Hogan a small smile, resting a gentle hand on his shoulder. "You will see your family again. The gods will see to it."

Hogan nodded, glancing behind them to see Morvus. "Ah, is it time?"

"Yeah, dunnae what you two loverbird er upta, but der's nay time for it now." He rested his gun on his shoulder. "Come on."

Hogan sighed and left the tent.

Belinda followed after. "You know, just because two people are alone together, doesn't mean they're lovers."

"Tell that to me and yer mum." Morvus snorted.

Belinda rolled her eyes.

The three of them headed to the battlefield.

■▪■▪■▪■▪■▪■▪■

"Ready men? Aim.... Fire!" Hogan's voice boomed over the plains. Thousands of arrows shot into the air by archers.

Belinda closed her eyes, feeling the wind being displaced by these arrows, another moment of silence, this one more eerie than the last. As time started moving again, she opened her eyes to see the arrows on fire. Lighting was raining down among the enemy troops.

A huge phoenix swooped down, cutting through many of the troops before disappearing.

Belinda turned to see Mirael. They both nodded at each other before turning back to the field.

The rest of battle was not something Belinda would ever get used to. However, the silence after is always the same.

Belinda turned from the scene to mourn the loss of those who were lost in battle. Silent tears fell from her eyes as the weight of everyone's losses fell onto her shoulders.

However, her mourning would have to be cut short.

Morvus was talking quietly with Hogan. A tall woman dressed in black and purple stood behind him. She was eyeing the people around her, her gaze finally falling on Belinda.

As the woman raised an eyebrow, Belinda realized that she had been staring. It was hard not to. This woman was hovering off of the ground, as was Belinda, however, her aura was that of a dark presence.

Then it hit her.

Her powers came from the same place a demon's did. She was powered by Hell.

Belinda walked up behind Hogan, putting a hand on his shoulder. Her eye contact with the woman did not waver.

Hogan smiled and looked at Belinda. "Oh, Belinda. This is Lucretia. She's going to help us with fighting the demons."

Belinda narrowed her eyes. "How will she do that if she is a demon herself?"

Lucretia let out a bitter laugh. "My only goal is to take down the gods--"

Belinda gasped. "And we decide to welcome her?"

"Let her explain, please." Hogan folded his arms and looked at Lucretia. "Continue, please."

Lucretia sniffed and shot Belinda a glare before looking at Hogan. "The demons took my son. I want rid of them."

"She's going to help us." Hogan nodded at Belinda.

"And when she turns and stabs our backs?"

Lucretia shook her head, smiling. "You think you're close enough to the gods for me to need you to get to them? No. I will kill them all myself, starting with Zaphrael." She met Belinda's gaze with her own, anger festering behind her eyes. "The Celestials do not care for insignificant mortals."