Drabble

"Hello, Drake."

Drake turned, taking in his friend standing in the doorway of the billiards room. 

"Oh, hi Li. I didn't know you were coming by today."

Liam entered tentatively. 

"Yes, well actually your wife called me."

Drake gave him a confused look. 

"She was curious about the painting you received. The one that arrived last week, with no note."

"Oh", Drake nodded. "Yeah, was that from you?" 

Liam shook his head, "No, it was not."

"Huh, figured it was.  Seemed to arrive out of nowhere."

"Yes, well your wife also thought it was quite strange.  Strange enough that she asked me to look into it.  She expressed concern about the impact that it's having on you, Drake."

"The impact a painting is having on me?"

Liam nodded, recalling the conversation.

"Hi Liam, it's...it's Riley." 

"Oh. Hello, Riley. What can I do for you?"

"Did you, by any chance, give us a painting?" 

"My apologies, but no, I did not."

Riley sighed, "I was afraid of that. Then we have no idea where it came from."

"Probably a late wedding gift, I'm certain the sender will make themselves known, in time."

"I'm worried about this painting, Liam. I...I don't like it. It creeps me out."

"Well, then; perhaps it is from Olivia. She has a fondness for graphic battle scenes."

"That, I could handle. This is a portrait of a woman. The plaque says Duchess Bloodgood. Do you know anything about her?" 

Liam exhaled, "Not much. I am familiar with most, if not all of the Cordoian nobility and I do recall the name, but little was ever said about her other than that she was very beautiful and married several times."

"Well, ever since that painting arrived, the strangest things have been happening."

"Like what, Riley?"  

She swallowed hard.  "Well, it's little things, like the other day, I was looking for my pearl earrings and I couldn't find them anywhere.  Then, when I looked at the picture, Liam... she was wearing my earrings!"  

Liam was quiet on the other line.  

"Great, now you think I’m losing my mind too."

"No, not at all. I'm merely thinking.  Is the woman still wearing pearl earrings in the painting?"  

"No. I went to get Drake to show him and then her other earrings were  back on and my pearls were in my jewelry box."

"I see...what else,  Riley?"

"Well, the other day, I was walking by the picture and...you’re going to think I’m nuts." 

"I would never."

"Liam, the frame was empty.  She was gone."

"Who was gone?"  

"The woman in the picture! And then it's like I blinked and she was back."

Liam could hear a whimper on the other side of the line.