Raindrops

“I’m baaaack…If there is anyone naked in the apartment you have three seconds to be decent. I don’t give a shit if you need more time” Rose yelled coming in and we burst laughing.

“We are decent woman…” Harry answered still laughing.

“Shit! I hoped I’d catch you naked…but… whatever” she said entering the kitchen where we were sitting having late lunch.

“Hey Rose…” I greeted her with a hug.

“Hello lovebirds!” she replied getting a chair next to me.

“Lunch at 4 in the afternoon…have you been busy…doing other things?” she smirked.

“That’s none of your business, Rosie” I giggled.

“I’ll take that as a yes…not on my bed I hope” she continued.

“Shut up!” I said faking annoyance.

“Don’t worry. Your bed is sex free” Harry added amused by the whole situation.

“Harry!” I scolded him.

“What?! She has the right to know about her bed…Actually dear Rose I haven’t even slept in it but thanks for letting me use your closet as Mrs. Consumerism over here has no room for my stuff in hers” he complained.

“So did you have fun?” she asked plainly.

We did have fun. We had spent three more days in the apartment, going out only for the basic groceries, cooking for each other, laughing with each other, chatting, reading, watching movies, playing cards ending up in our underwear and eventually spending the rest of the day in bed together. We couldn’t have enough of each other. Young love my mum calls it. We had fun. Yes, we did. We did more than that. We learnt as much as we could about each other, we learnt to listen to each other, I dare say we learnt to love each other. I felt I had known Harry forever. This alone time with him that was ending today will always be cherished in my heart as our honeymoon period, when almost nothing else mattered besides us. I know I sound so cheesy and cliché like all the other love stories you have read about so far but still that is exactly how it felt.

“Are you going to work tonight?” Rosie suddenly asked as I was clearing the table.

“Yeah. I need to be there at 10:30 tonight” I answered.

“Harry, it’s just the two of us tonight then. I will get you drunk at the club and take advantage of you and then you’ll see you’ve fallen for the wrong girl” she said dramatically, obviously joking.

“OK love. We’ll do just that” he reciprocated with a grin and pulled her into a fake hug.

“Val, he is a keeper” she said after she recovered from her laughter. “I’ll go get some sleep guys”, she said “…by the way did something happen in the neighbourhood?” she asked changing the subject.

“No…I don’t think so. What do you mean?” I wanted to know.

“There were two patrol cars going up and down in our street and I found it a bit strange. Don’t worry I wouldn’t read anything into it. Probably drunken students or something. See ya…” she explained while yawning before she left us in the kitchen looking at each other wondering if that was a coincidence or a warning but none of us wanted to worry the other so we kept quiet as the tension in the room was starting to build.

At 10:15 I was at the door ready for work after a small argument with Harry who protested against me going to work alone like I had done a million other times claiming that he wanted to keep me company but I knew better.