Chapter 1- New Student

The sun blinded me as I ran to school not wanting to be late... AGAIN. *If I'm late again I'll be in HUGE trouble!* I thought to myself as I made my way into the high school building. I snuck through the hallway avoiding the teachers until I bumped right into
Principal Watson...
"What are you doing in the halls at this time, Ryder? Oh wait- you don't need to answer, I already know" he said with a look that always made me feel like I shouldn't be here. I couldn't make up any excuses this time... I had to except that I was caught. He pulled me into his office and gave me a paper for my parents...
"What is your problem? If you keep this up your future won't look too good....when you get older..."
Blah blah blah was all I heard coming from his mouth. *Who cares about my future? When I get a job in a few years this whole "good grade" thing won't matter... My parents are forcing me to take over the family business as a chef.. I hate cooking though*
"So do you understand?" He said with anger. "Are you even listening?!"
"Yes of course! Now can I get to class?" He gave me a note saying "excused tardy" and sent me off to first period...
I entered the room feeling all eyes on me. *Why does everyone look at me like some freak?!* I asked myself as I gave the tardy pass to my teacher. I sat down next to my best friend Zane Benford who showed me last nights homework assignment to copy down.
"Thanks" I said when he gave me a thumbs up and a retarded smile.
"Ok class, work on the packet I gave out to you yesterday and make sure it gets turned in by Friday! You may work silently." The math teacher told us.
"Your late... AGAIN!!" Zane whispered to me.
"Ya I know... Anyways we should get to work... I don't want to talk about it." I said trying to avoid the conversation.