(ConniexReader) [The Hunger Games] You're A Thief -1-

• Dedicated to You Springer Fans

[READ DESCRIPTION FIRST PLEASE, VERY IMPORTANT FOR CONNIE FANS]

I look up as the man lifts his axe, preparing to slice my hands off. The sunlight shone behind him, making it hard to see his face. Earlier today, I had stolen a loaf of bread. My little brother was starting to get hungry, and we haven't had a proper meal in days. I could never get my hands on anything great, although I vowed someday I would, so bread would have to do for the time being. Or so I thought.

Every morning I would try to bargain some food for me and my little brother, with little success. A lot of the shopkeepers here knew I had no parents and usually had enough pity to spare some scraps, but some days they couldn't even do that, leaving me and Jamie starving for the night. The one shopkeeper I never messed with though, was Richard Barestor. He was a mean man who never had pitied anyone but himself, and some of his customers even hate him.

I had made the mistake of stealing one of his goods and got caught in the act. When he reported me, I was charged with adult fees and was cast away to have my hands cut off. Here I was, in the center of District Twelve, saying goodbye to the one thing that helped me keep Jamie safe. I look at him in the large crowd, tears in his eyes, along with the many bystanders who gaze at me, pity in their eyes. I look away and stare at my legs instead.

As I await the pain to start, I hear something approach the town square, curious, I lift my head a little and catch sight of Levi Ackerman, the only victor alive from District Twelve. He approaches slowly, then stops in front of the man. He eyes him suspiciously, then speaks.

"What is it that you want, Levi?" I stare with wide eyes as our victor, only nineteen years older than me, glances down at me.

"Pardon her." He says. The crowd gasps, along with me. Never before has he approached a punishment and tried to stop it, why was now any different? The man scoffs.

"You're kidding. She deserves this, you know the law." As he turns to swing at me, Levi grabs his arm and stops him.

"I said set her free. I'll pay for all charges." Levi states bravely. The man stares at him quietly before setting down his axe silently and starts walking away. "I'll inform the Mayor myself, no need for the trouble." He calls after him. The man just waves his hand nonchalantly and disappears around the corner.

I jerk my head to the left as I see Jamie crawling under the rail to get to me.

"Jamie!" I warn. He ignores me and runs up next to Levi, snot and tears covering his face.

"Thank you, mister! Thank you!" He cries and clenches at Levi's jacket. The crowd disperses quickly and as soon as everyone is back to what they were doing, Levi kneels and grabs Jamie's face.

"Your welcome." He says, I stare in amazement. If I remember right, Levi wasn't this nice when he won the Hunger Games. "Don't you know how to cry properly? Clean your face." Jamie nods diligently and then wipes his nose with his sleeve. Levi's face scrunches at the sight, making me giggle, which made him look at me. I shut up. "And you, don't you know better than to steal?" He asks. I nod shamefully.

"Thank you for stopping him." I say gratefully. Levi shifts to undo the cuff on my wrists.

"Don't think you're anything special brat. I was just walking around town today." His words had a harsh reality touch, but his tone was gentle. He looks at the entrace to Victor Village, then looks back at me. "Where do you two live?" He asks.

"Uhm.." The place we call "home" is what others would call a trashcan. In the corner of District Twelve, there's an alleyway where people throw away their leftovers and trash, and that's where Jamie and I live now. We found it after our mom left us for a job transfer in District Two, saying she'd come back in for us once she had the money. We haven't seen her since.