Secret Santa

Lena walks into the classroom, quiet and straight to the back of the classroom as she does. Something is different, though. It's darker, more of a closed-comforted feeling in the classroom. A perky voice shouts through the classroom.

"Hello! I am Ms Tessmacher. Your new biomedical science teacher. I'm sure you have noticed the classroom has changed. Well, I have a different approach on some things. Lucky for you, I love my job and I love each and every one of you.... even you little young one." The teacher points to Lena. Lena doesn't bother to look up. She doesn't ever get noticed, until she can feel the eyes of the (what feels like an endless sea of) students on her. She slowly looks up from her paper and locks eyes with the teacher and gives her a shy smile in response to her acknowledgement of the young student. She immediately looks back down after getting the all-clear from the other students when they look away from her.

"I have high hopes for each and every one of you. I believe in fresh starts and...." Ms Tessmacher can feel the tension and boredom of her students. She places her clipboard down and leans on her desk. "Okay. I see that is of no interest to any of you." she gives a stern look to the class. "Okay how's this.. how many of you know what secret Santa is?" Her face beams as she sees everyone in the room. Even the shy girl in the back who doesn't even bother to show her eyes.
"Great!" Ms Tessmacher opens her drawer and pulls out a fairly large bucket. "I am going to move around the classroom to each and every one of you. You will all pull a name. And, since I have everyone here today," She smiles wider "it will be perfect." She starts walking around the classroom.

Alex can hear murmuring from behind her

"god I hope I don't get the luthor."

Another girl scoffs. "What the hell would you get her a book? That's hella boring."

Alex clenches her fists and turns around, giving them a dirty look and adding, "she's a human just like the rest of us. If you took the time and energy out of your precious little lives, you could get to know her and be a good person and you might know how to be nice. Don't talk down on someone based on how they present themselves. It's rude and immature and I know you are both of those things, but you don't need to speak about being a bad person. Really, it's embarrassing." She turns around slightly wide-eyed. She stood up for a girl she doesn't even know. A girl no one even knows.

"Of course, chief of police." One of the girls exchanges the dirty look and looks at her friend next to her giggling.

"I do not tolerate bullying or treating others poorly so if you have thoughts, control yourself and don't talk about it. You two girls take your time to come visit me during break or I will find you myself. Miss Danvers, allow me to speak with you after class" Ms Tessmacher didn't seem too happy. Alex nods and turns around to look at Lena. It doesn't seem to look like she even payed attention.

Lena heard it all and a smile pulled at the corner of her mouth for a second, then she immediately lost it. Ms Tessmacher made it to Alex and she drew her peer's name. She pulled it out and looked at the name, she didn't seem to have any reaction to it. Ms Tessmacher went through the rest of her students and finally got to Lena, the blonde took the paper out and slid it to Lena. No one else seemed to be paying attention. Lena looked up at Ms Tessmacher and smiled. Ms Tessmacher felt something but didn't know what it was. The best way she felt she could describe it was agony shielded by a simple smile. That would have fooled her if she didn't meet Lena's pale green eyes. Lena looked at the paper and took it, looking back down to her paper. Ms. Tessmacher catches a glimpse of her peer's name and can make out an "Alex... vers" and also seems to take a peek of the student's paper. The doodles were detailed and appeared simple, but when put into detail, the scribbles came out as intelligent, highly skilled illustrations. "hm." Ms Tessmacher hums as she walks to the front of the classroom.