Unending Battles

Feeling the cold breeze of November, I was sitting at the window when I saw a familiar car parked in front of our gate. My boyfriend came.

I forgot today is his day off. I opened the gate and hugged him immediately.

"Love, you're here." I smiled, and he kissed me.

"Today's November 25, our anniversary, love." What? Anniversary? Yes, today is our anniversary. I almost forgot because I was busy with my paper works in getting my job.

"Yes, yes. Happy anniversary love. Come inside." I said as if I did not forget it.

"Thank you. Happy anniversary too, Jo."  He said with that beautiful smile plastered on his face.

I held his hand towards the house.

"Good morning, auntie." Jaz smiled at mommy while taking her hand to kiss it.

"Good morning, honey. You seemed too early today?" "Yes, auntie. Can I take Jo out of the town today?"

"Sure, honey."

I was at the bathroom when I overheard mom and Jaz' conversations. That is what I admired him the most. He respected my parents a lot. He really won't take me out if it's not with my parents’ consent.

"Love, bring five pairs of clothes, we will be going to Palawan for a short vacation. I booked a ticket for us." Jaz said while I was combing my hair.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes." He smiled widely.

"Should I help you with keeping your clothes or, should I wait outside?"

"It's okay. I can handle it."

"Okay. I'll wait outside."

"Thank you. Get some food inside the refrigerator, love."

"It's okay, love. Jaz got out of my room and went to the living room.”

Jaz is a Mechanical Engineer. He was assigned to a private company located corners away from our house. He got this profession too from his bereaved parents. Yes, Jaz is now living alone after his parents died in a car accident two years ago. He became independent at a young age trained by his parents. He is an only child and an independent man.

"Hi, love" I walk towards him, smiling.

"You ready?"

"Yes." I carried one backpack and one sling bag.

After we bid goodbye to my parents, we then proceeded to his car. He played our favorite song that made me fell asleep.
We arrived at around 3:00 pm in the Palawan. All are ready. I was amazed at how he treated me. From the arrangements. With that bouquet of flowers, and my favorite seafood. I was teary-eyed looking at it all. Nothing has changed from the very start I knew Jaz.

The vacation we had was well spent. It was very memorable, yet the guilt in me hasn’t disappeared yet. I wanted to tell him about me hired at the hospital I applied to. I graduated BS Nursing a year ago and took an interview afterward. Jaz isn't that comfortable with me being a medical staff, for he knew how crucial the job is. However, I still applied for it because God knows how much I love to serve.

“Jaz ....” I uttered, almost whispering.

"You got hired? Congratulations love. I am so happy for you." He exclaimed, and a tear fell from my eyes. He hugged me and kissed me on the forehead and whispered, I love you.

It’s been a year now since I got this job I have now. Every day is a challenging day, as I am facing different patients. There are times when I am dealing with emotionally distressed patients. Thus I have to be flexible and patient until they get calmed for their well-being, and their happiness is my major responsibility. There are some patients that the problems are in themselves and need comfort and that I have to remain my positive vibes and show and make them feel loved and cared for too.