The Question

It was a snowy day in Snowdin, as usual. Monsters were roaming about and Papyrus was on his normal patrol duties.
Frisk, who had been living with the skelebros for about two months, was sitting on the couch watching TV. The remote was in her hand, and she kept flipping through Mettaton's annoying shows.
Just as she settled on the robot's relatively calm cooking show, Sans came in the front door.
"Sans!" she exclaimed, looking at him. She bolted up from her seat on the sofa and rushed to him. "How was work, today? Find any more humans? Did you tell Papyrus to take a break like I asked you?"
"Whoa, whoa! One question at a time, bucko." The skeleton chuckled, closing the door behind him. "Start over and I'll answer ya."
"Did you find any other humans?" she echoed, almost standing on her tiptoes in excitement. "I've been really missing the surface. A human's gotta fall down here sooner or later."
"Nope, sorry to say," he replied, his consistent grin decreasing. "You've got me and Papyrus to keep you company...what's with the sudden the homesickness?"
"I dunno." Frisk sighed, looking down. "It's just...I read some of your history books in the shed out back and the surface was mentioned one or two times...and it reminded me of home."
"Oh," Sans mumbled, awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck. "Well, uh...what were the other questions you asked?"
  "It doesn't really matter, actually. I'm just gonna sit down and watch television for a bit." She paused. "Wanna join me?"
  "You're upset, aren'tcha?" He eyed her, frowning. "I'm sorry about what you left behind up there, but you made the choice to stay down here. I've tried cheering ya up, but I can't change how you feel."
  "Sans?" Frisk said.
  "Yeah?" he responded, raising a brow.
  "Could you...tell me more about the surface? Ya know, back then...before the monsters were sealed in this hell of a hole?" She pouted, meekly rubbing her arm. "I know you've told me the end of the story, but I'd like to hear about what it was like before that."
  "You're just gonna get yourself down in the dumps, kid. I don't think reminding you of the surface is gonna help you any." He held out his skeletal hands to her, and she took them.
  Sans led her to the couch, and they both sat down.
  "Babe," she whined, her brows furrowed. "Please? You've never told me the beginning of the Monsters' history. I'm curious."
  "Frisk Dreemurr...I've already said no." He shook his head.
  "But sweetie, the history books didn't tell me any of the good details..." she trailed off, looking dejected.
  After a moment, he huffed and leaned his head back into the cushions in exasperation. "Fine, but don't push it. Capiche?"
  She nodded enthusiastically, gently squeezing his hands in affection.
  "Alright, well...where to start?" Sans tapped his fingers on his knee in thought. "I guess I should start at the very beginning..."
                                        -•-
  Long ago, two races ruled the surface: Humans and Monsters. They lived in peace and harmony until...wait, I'm getting ahead of myself. I'll start at the beginning of the monsters' monarchy, when Asgore and Toriel were still together.
  Keep in mind that I'm only pulling this info from history books and what Gaster left behind...so I might not get all the facts straight.

(Hiya! Thanks for reading this far. I'll update this when I can. Have a great day!)