Annalise

A chilling breeze brushed across her tear-stained face as she sat staring at the grave of the one she loved. How she got here is a complicated story but a story none the less that should be shared.

Annalise was a bright-eyed girl of the age fifteen and working on her father's farm. It was not a very impressive farm compared to the others in the land, but it was home, nonetheless. Annalise's father was not a rich man. His job in the kingdom was to raise cattle, grow vegetables, and train magnificent horses for the knights of King Louis. Anna did all she could to help her father. It was a difficult time for him now that Anna's mother had died. She had been a servant in the castle of King Louis, but when Anna's mother had gotten sick the king had asked her to leave. Anna's mother had been a beautiful woman and adored by all. She was kind, caring, and smart. But for a woman in those times, traits did not matter. As a child, Anna's father would take her to visit her mother at the palace. She would follow her mother around and watch the noble knights in the courtyard. That was how Anna had met Jordan. Jordan was the second born son to Sir Tristan. A noble knight who was known across the land for slaying mighty dragons. Jordan admired his father and dreamed of being just like him. Jordan and Anna were remarkably similar however, that was the notable difference. Anna admired her father, but she did not wish to be just as he was. She longed for an adventure and a story of her own. She longed to join the knights on their quests for their king. Her father would tell her not to be foolish and tend to the garden. Anna could not help it. Someday she would leave the kingdom of Dorée and write a story of her own. She had planned her story to be somewhat of a legend spread across the land. Fate, however, had something else in mind.

"Annalise! Where are you I have terrific news!" Jordan shouted from down the path towards town. The sun bouncing off his golden hair as he bounded towards her farm. He reached the small wooden gate and leaped over.

"What is it Jordan?" She asked. He slowed his pace and paused at the bottom of the stairs to the stone cottage. The excitement was visible in his sea-blue eyes.

"I got a letter. A letter from King Louis Annalise," he puffed as he tried to catch his breath.

"Well, what does it say?" She asked excitement filling inside her chest.

"I am to join my father and the other knights and escort the king to Indelain for a meeting of the four Lords". He said coming up the steps where Anna stood. All the joy had left her body. Indelain was a three-month journey away.

"What's wrong?" Jordan asked.

"Aren't you happy for me?"

"Of course, I am. I am incredibly happy for you Jordan".

"Then why the look of sorrow in your eyes?"

"It's a three-month journey. What am I to do while you're gone?" She asked with a slight playful smile on her pink lips. Jordan's face brightened.

"I am sure something will occupy your time while I'm away".

"I'm sure you're right". She replied. The shadow of a golden eagle soaring in the sky pulled their attention to the heavens.

"I must return to the castle". Jordan spoke with a sigh. Anna nodded in agreement. Carefully he placed his hands on either side of her head and kissed where her auburn hair met the softness of her skin.

"I'll return in three months". He whispered and with that, he turned back down the steps and headed towards town.

"In three months". Anna repeated, her green eyes sparkling in the sunlight. With one last glance towards the eagle, she disappeared into the cottage.