Wedding Day

Wedding Day

Jonah moved in next door to me when we were only five, and after only knowing each other for hardly ten minutes, we became best friends. He was a dark haired, green eyed little boy, shy and loving to even a fly. I, on the other hand was much too tall for my age, and I was spunky, who had a problem with getting into trouble. We had found a large chest in my old, scary attic, another of our odd adventures. Our hearts thumped loudly as we waited for an evil, big monster to jump out of the big, heavy box. Instead, to my delight we had found that it was filled with clothes. I laughed with joy, grabbing the big white, puffy, and lace dress to play in. It was much too big, falling a couple feet under me, as I slipped it over me, onto the scratched wooden floor.

“Emily! Look!” I turned towards my friend, realizing he had slipped on a black tie and jacket, his little body swallowed up in the material. I laughed, realizing we looked like we were a bride and groom.

“I think I know what we should play now!” I whispered, the idea birthing into my head. I slipped my hand in his, dragging him with me, while I carried the lace gown off the floor with my other hand, our giggles loud and dominant in my house. We both ran, racing until we reached our destination.

Behind my house, past the trees, there was large field, that seemed to go for miles and miles. Bright pink orchids were everywhere, almost floating above the contrasting, green grass. I could smell every flower and grass stem, my heart fluttering at the beauty of it. The wind was stronger on this spring day, my knotty blond hair biting the back of my neck. The sun brightened everything, and I started to dance in circles, Jonah joining me, our hands intertwined as we spun around and around, until we couldn't take any more, falling on our backs next to each other on the soft ground. The sky was a perfect blue, and we took our time counting and naming the white, marshmallow clouds.

“Emily, what game did you want to play?” Suddenly, remembering, I grabbed his hand again, telling him to stay in place. He looked at me, his eyes questioning me, knowing I was about to do something odd. I ran across from him, until I thought the distance between us was enough. I walked back, taking my time, belching the wedding march. In my head, I could see the church around us, imagining every detailed wall and ceiling, angels smiling down to us. I giggled as Jonah pretended to cry, and I followed suit, as I stood in front of him. “Do you, Billy Bob take beautiful and wonderful Jane to be her husband?” He laughed at my fake names, and nodded his head, and then asked me the same. “I do!” I said., giving him a radiant smile.

He turned to kiss me on my cheek, but I turned and ran away, laughing uncontrollably as he chased me. My dress caught under my feet, and I fell, tripping him. We laughed, until our sides hurt, our happiness swimming around us. “Emily, what game was that?” I smiled, turning toward his small voice.

“Wedding Day!” I grinned. “Do you want to play again?” He nodded, excited, running back to his place. It was all we ever played together, until we were bored with it, years later.

**

“Today sucked.” I moaned. Jonah and I were seventeen, both seniors in high school. I was in his small, dirty room, throwing myself onto his bed, just in time as he moved his dirty clothes onto the floor.

“Talk to me.” He smirked, settling my head on his lap. I sighed as his hands played with my long blonde locks, and I looked at his face. He didn't look too worried, probably because he was most likely used to my rants by then. His glasses were big on his face, but I could still feel the intensity of his green eyes, and see his freckles around his face and the long eyelashes, creating shadows on his cheeks. His eyes turned to my blue ones, and I couldn't hide the hurt on my face. His gaze was so consuming, I couldn't hide my feelings. “I saw Bruce today.” He shook his head, listening carefully as I explained the encounter I had that day.