Prologue

October 31, 2009, Knoxville, Tennessee

The weather was perfect for the day's festivities as mothers held tightly to their children's hands, walking to and from houses, demanding candy in exchange for a silly chant.

A little girl by the name of Rose Langley pulled her mother along from house to house, determined to get the most candy out of all the children in their very large neighborhood.

"Rose, slow down, my shoe's untied," her mother, Laura Langley, huffed as she let go of her daughter's hand to tie her shoe.

Now I bet you know where this is going: 'it was only for a second... I looked up and she was gone!'

Well, in a way, you are correct.

You see, little Rose actually stood patiently as her mother tied her shoes, entranced by the sight of the Halloween decorations she had been too busy getting candy to notice.

Finally, Rose remembered the candy that lay ahead, waiting for her... calling out her name... so she turned back to her mother, but her mother was gone.

Rose spun in a circle, looking for her mom. At only four years old, Rose had no idea what to do. She had lost her mom in the store when she had wandered off... but she had never had her mom wander off from her...

Suddenly the noises and sights and smells that had made Rose's little eyes shine bright with anticipation and excitement began to terrify her. There seemed to be way more people than there were before, so Rose ran behind a bush and began to cry.