Fire

The defaults are sent on a reconnaissance mission to find possible whereabouts on SHADOW—chaos ensues as they stop to take a break.

~•~

"I used to come here," Emmy sighed, a slight bit of disappointment in her tone, "you know, when it was still a camp."

She snapped a picture of the surrounding area with her camera and sat down next to the fire pit, pulling out a notebook.

"Why was this place abandoned of whatever, anyway?" Mansu asked, glancing around curiously, "there's neat stuff here, don't ya think?"

Emmy flipped to a page in her notebook full of points about their mission so far. Hector sent her a warning look as she began to click her pen repeatedly, unable to stand the noise. He threw a pile of wood into the pit and searched his bag for the box of matches. "SHADOW invaded here once, I think."

"They did," Ramirez confirmed from behind Mansu, who nearly fell over from her sudden appearance. "They claimed Camp Cod for training grounds and moved out after about a month."

Jonesy pointed towards the entrance, where a "Welcome to the Lodge" sign stood behind the boarded up bridge. "Kind of neglected to mention it, but... the sign at Weeping Woods and that one? They're just like the one from Lonely Lodge."

"One of the places in Athena?" Carlos asked, and Jonesy nodded. Carlos pointed finger guns at a target off in the distance and shot. "GHOST should use this place for training grounds too, you know what I mean? We could use them."

"Yeah," Emmy nodded, "right now they just use empty space in the woods by Ghost House."

"Speaking of GHOST," Ramirez interrupted, "let's rest up and get our tents set up. We'll head out early and see what we can find on the other half of the island regarding SHADOW. What do we have so far, Emmy?"

Emmy glanced back down at her notes. "Everywhere's kinda quiet... the same safehouses are still running, we already know Steamy Stacks is base... Dirty Docks, they might be waiting for a delivery of something."

Ramirez nodded. "Should we send word?"

Carlos stood up and accessed his earpiece communications, stepping a little ways away to send in his call. "Got it."

A bit of silence took over the group as they continued setting up camp and resting their legs. "We're heading around the mountain and into Misty Meadows, then straight to Slurpy Swamp, correct?" Hector asked, sitting down after throwing another set of logs into the now lit fire.

"What kind of name is Slurpy?" Banshee intervened before Ramirez could confirm, "why would they name it that?"

Nobody could tell if it was a legit question or a joke. "I dunno," Jonesy laughed, "maybe because it's a swamp where all the Slurp is?"

"No duh, dumbass," she rolled her eyes playfully, "but come on, 'Slurpy Swamp?' Who named these, anyway? Must be real creative."

"Steamy Stacks is just as creative, but no one talks about that," Mansu remarked, reaching into his bag.

"Dirty Docks?"

"The Agency."

"The Shark!" Emmy piped in.

Everyone's attention turned to Mansu as chords strummed rapidly from a ukulele. "Oh Slurpy Swamp, oh Slurpy Swamp," he sung, slightly off-key on purpose, "oh how I love you Slurpy Swamp. And the Shark, and Dirty Docks, and Frenzy Farm, and Steamy Stacks, and..."

He continued to name as many locations as possible, taking the key higher as he went.

"How did you even fit that in the tiny bag?" Carlos asked as soon as he finished, an amused smile on his face.