The beginning.

"Mason."

"Mason Freeman!"

Mason jumps and turns quickly to face the devil incarnate, Joseph Daniels, his last period English teacher.

"Sorry Mr Daniels."

"Sorry is right, you're lucky school ends today, or you'd be in detention."

"Yes Mr Daniels" He nods, trying not to frown. That teacher needs to lighten up, he's probably going to teach to the very last second. And he does, Mr Daniels goes on talking about Pronouns and spacing and essays for ages.

What seemed like hours later the teacher calls out "Dismissed, you can pack up now." The end of his bored sounding sentence is drowned by the storm of noise created by 28 people rushing to cram their things into bags and leave.

When the wave of people starts to thin, Mason stands and heads out the door. The tingly feeling of freedom starts building up inside him. School's  out, There's weeks and weeks of time to do anything. Anything! Why… He could leave the country, go explore something new, and interesting. Like… Thailand, or Peru, or even Europe! 

Mason's imagination runs away and dances around with him, a faint smile growing on his face. He's free. As a goodbye ritual he heads up the stairs to the roof, which he does whenever he has free time.

Up the stairs, through the trap door, prop the fire escape open with a shoe and you're there. The roof.

He takes in a deep breath and laughs. He laughs and spins in a circle on the rectangle of concrete where the water tanks sit. The only flat piece of roof in the building

With the giddy feeling of joy bubbling in his stomach the tall boy leans his elbows on the edge of the wall and looks out at the town.  The green of the many, many trees. The blue of the distant big lake, and the cute yellow,white, red of all the houses. All the colours jump out at him, like paint on a canvas. His faint smile grows a little larger as he looks down at the brick walls of his school. The neat little buildings, the nice little bushes and lawns. Picture perfect. 

With a discreet glance around he swings his long leg over the edge of the  short wall and sits on the top. Swinging the other over he sits still, looking around.

There's a quiet mumble behind him and he feels a soft presure on his back,and turns, eyes widening. "What?- "

The world shifts. The ground comes closer. The colours smear and everything turns upsidedown. 

Closer.

Closer.

A scream rips from his lips as everything swirls around, the colours coming together to become a bluring, fleeting image of nothing.

Mason feels the end coming, the floor coming to smack him into the world of the dead. There's a cold, burning feeling in his chest and everything goes black.