His Asylum

She was slowly forcing one foot in front of the other as she crept down a long dark hall that seemed to constantly keep her on edge. She felt sweat drip from her brow as she followed the hall into a dark room. She took two steps into the room then she heard a slam and click behind her. She didn't even have to look back to know that the door had shut and locked itself. She whimpered as she felt something touch the back of her neck. There was a loud groan somewhere out in the hallway. Then a dim light bulb turned on. It looked as if it hadn't been turned on in years. It was hanging in the middle of the room swaying back and forth on a thin slightly frayed wire. There was a hooded man standing under the light. "There you are" the man said with a smile. That voice was unmistakable. The man was Grinach. She turned around and banged on the door screaming and crying and yelling.

 "I gave you the monolith so leave me alone!" She sobbed.

Grinach whispered in a deep, raspy, dark tone, "We both know I dont need the monolith anymore. I think you know what I need."

  Grinach whispered the scripts that where chiseled into the monolith and the girl panicked and fell to the floor. She screamed loud enough to alert anyone in the area, but of course the building was abandoned. The air felt like it was dissipating; getting thinner, and thinner. She reached out as if it would help her find the air that was missing from her lungs. She thought maybe if she survived, the first thing she would do is tell her boyfriend John, that she loved him. She couldn't bear the thought of her death; she needed to be with John. Thinking about John gave her hope to hold on to as she faded away. She tried to tell herself its ok, she's going to live. She let her arms fall to her sides because she started feeling light headed and fatigued. Everything seemed to spin around her, the room got darker and darker until her eyes where shut and there was no more breath left in her lungs.

  She slowly opened her eyes. There was a throbbing pain in her chest. When she looked across the room, John was standing in the corner crying. She was overcome with relief and worry.

"Thank god I thought you were dead. I ran into the asylum when I heard you scream but when I got here the door was locked. I busted down the door, but it was too late. I tried to get you to regain consciousness but your heart wasn't beating so I... Never mind. Are you ok?" John asked, his voice cracking every few words.

"You were following me!?" the girl asked

"Er, no I was merely making sure you were safe by observing you from a respectable distance."

"You shouldn't be here."

 He gave her a blank stare.

"Wh-"

"I love you." She interrupted.

"I love you too."