Sushi: The Story of First Love

Introduction

 I’m Alice. In Drama Club. Band. Student Council. Sixth grade…

Just to throw out five things about myself into the air! Unfortunately, this has nearly nothing to do with me. The spotlight is taken by Gabby and Diana (A.K.A. Dia). Those names might sound strangely familiar, or they may be random and unknown. As for me, those are just the two girls I happen to run into everyday of my life. Of course Diana; she’s my cousin. Gabby is her bestie. They fall head over heels for their first love. I might have let them down a bit, probably because I've never fallen in love before. But enough of that, let’s move on. I’ll try to stop the urge of talking about myself…

        This is a story that can relate to all. Right now, I’m going to save you some time in your precious lives by making this introduction shorter. Now grab your strawberry slushy, crunch some nachos and proceed.

 Chapter 1

         “Who’s that?” asked my cousin, Diana. We’ve known each other since we were in diapers. “Gabriel.” I replied easily. We were just flipping through my elementary school’s yearbook during summer. Both of us were extremely excited to be going to middle school in August, the way we would become the “little fish” on campus all over again. “Oh. That’s Gabriel?” Diana asked. “Yup… I think you guys would be good friends.” I assured her. “Really?” she asked again. “Sure…” I muttered.

                         2 Months Later

       Ever since that summer, all I’ve been hearing coming out of Dia’s mouth is Gabriel. Gabriel, Gabriel, Gabriel! In lunch, in band, in gym, in math; where ever I saw her, she had to mention ‘Gabriel’ at least once in a sentence. She admitted to liking him long ago. Dia’s friend, Gabby wanted to know who this ‘Gabriel’ was. Gabby ended crushing on him as well. Who knew they had the same taste in guys?

            Everyday at lunch, I would watch them leaning back and forth chanting “Gabriel, Gabriel, Gabriel…” Sometimes Gabby would say, “Oh hey, there’s Gabriel!” Just to get Dia to look and say, “Where?”

            About a week later, that’s when the tornado hit. “Ah! I’m sad…” complained Dia, as she always spoke her thoughts aloud. “Why?” I asked.

            “He moved to 7th grade.”

            “Gabriel?”

            “Yes.”

“What? How do you know?” I immediately asked because I always doubted her. “Paige said her teacher said that Gabriel was in their class then moved to 7th grade!”

            “Well that doesn’t mean--”

             “Yes it does!”

             “You can’t always trust--”

             Then she looked at me with that look. The ‘stop-arguing-or-I’ll-slap-you’ look. I still didn’t quite believe her. I never believe much until I see the evidence with my eyes.

                 When I arrived home, I got on MySpace and messaged Gabriel like crazy. ‘Did you move to 7th grade?’ I asked in the mile-long message.

                  The next day in band, we had a substitute which meant there was an extra few minutes at the end of class. Everyone just chatted with each other, while Gabby and Diana made songs, stories, even a ‘sadness page’ about him. I wasn’t precisely sure of what this ‘sadness page’ was, since they didn’t let me peek at any of their ‘Gabriel’ non sense. I guessed they were expressing their sadness by drawing on a piece of paper.