Lunch

The Academy of Espionage

Washington, DC

April 25

1300 hours

    "So I came in to tell Ben about Murray's shoe, and this girl was in there. Man, she was SMOKING hot! And she looked so familiar. But I was cool; I flashed her a smile, dished out a compliment," my best friend Mike Brezinski told the table. Chip and Jawa, two of my other friends from spy school, were hanging on his every word. They still couldn't believe that we had met Erica's sister. Trixie was a member of the Hale family, but it was decided that she was not cut out to be a spy. So her family hid their true identities from her. I only knew that Trixie existed because Erica was forced to tell me when her life was in danger as an explanation for blowing up some of the CIA headquarters a few days ago. She allowed some of our closest friends to know about her, but no one else.

"Yeah, he was cool about it right up until she threatened us," I teased. Mike shot me a glare while Chip and Jawa sniggered. "She would have figured out who we were if it wasn't for the hospital staff though," I continued. "They burst into the room as soon as she told us to start talking. After that, Agent Taco came in and pretended to be my mom. She asked me some questions about school and my supposed bike accident, and Trixie bought it."

"That easily?" Jawa asked skeptically. "She may not be a spy, but she's still a Hale."

"That easily. It was crazy," Mike replied. "Sure wish I could have gotten her number though. She was hot! She seemed so sweet too! She baked cookies! I need that kind of woman in my life. I mean, Trixie Brezinski, it has a nice ring to it."

Chip's eyes suddenly grew the size of dinner plates. He punched Jawa in the shoulder, who looked up and immediately gasped. Me, I could feel my face getting red from trying not to laugh so hard.

"Does it?" Erica chided from directly behind Mike. "If I were her, I would stick to a name with a legacy." I allowed myself a grin, mostly because this sounded exactly like Erica. Then again, part of me was also just glad to hear her voice again. I hadn't seen her since our last mission, and I wanted to know where things stood. Just a few days ago, I had almost kissed her after she implied that she was ready for a relationship. But she had never come to see me in the hospital, or afterwards.

Mike whipped around in his seat, having no idea that Erica was behind him. "I-ii, er, um," he stuttered out. Erica rolled her eyes.

She suddenly turned to look at me. "Hey Ben," she said, her tone as flat and emotionless as ever. I grimaced inwardly. I looked up at her expecting a glare, but was surprised to find her eyes filled with friendliness and a little bit of concern. I was suspicious. Erica never let her emotions show around others. 

"Hi Erica," I responded warily. "What's up?"

"Just wanted to check on you after you got out of the hospital. Make sure your still alive," she joked. Okay, something was seriously wrong. Erica never just checks on someone. Especially not in front of other people. She doesn't joke either.

"Well, I'm good," I smile casually, shrugging my shoulders. Erica nodded approvingly at me before shooting Mike a warning glance. She passed by me and walking to her usual table. I shook my head, deep in thought, and plunged my fork into the toxic macaroni and cheese provided by the school. Seriously; there were rumors that they put small doses of poison in the food to build up our tolerance to it. I believe them.

"Did you see that?!? The Ice Queen was totally just into you, man! Erica never goes up to someone 'just to check on them.' She totally likes you," Chip exclaimed. And as crazy as it sounded, Chip was actually right about something. Erica never just checks on someone. That thought just kept running through my mind as I took a bite. I paused, wrinkling my nose. There was something more inedible than usual in my food. Something hard.

I spit it into a napkin, only to discover that a small box was in my food. I looked closely at it. There was an even smaller E.H. written on the side in Sharpie. I did my best to turn my surprised expression into one of disgust. "Buddy, are you okay?" Jawa asked me, his eyebrows knitting together.

"I think I'm going to throw up," I lied. Everyone seemed to buy it. 

"Me too, eventually. This stuff is getting worse if that's even possible."

I quickly stood up, making a show of running out of the cafeteria and to the nearest restroom. Two minutes later, I walked to my room. Once I got inside, I popped the lid off of the box to discover a two-way radio and a folded piece of paper inside. I put the transmitter in my ear and unfolded the paper slip. Erica had written these words;

CAA21:1400 hours

I have level 16 math skills, and with that comes the ability to always know exactly what time it is. I knew that it was 1:35 pm. I had 25 minutes to figure out the location and to meet Erica.

AND THAT IS MY FIRST CHAPTER EVERYONE!!! Tell me what you think in the comments.