Chapter One

Chapter One

Paige held onto her blue and white striped beach towel as she ran inside of the house, squealing and laughing. Summer was the best, especially when she had time off and wasn’t dancing. Her tan skin and bleach blonde hair matched her spunky personality and care free feel she gave off.

Brooke sat on the couch, watching the news and talking on the phone while Claudia, Brooke’s best friend, stood in the kitchen, making herself a sandwich. Maddie and Chloe were on their way over. Paige ran through the house in her dripping wet bathing suit being chased by Josh and a couple of his friends. The best thing about summer was the freedom Kelly gave her kids. They could all have at least one friend over at the same time, and it was perfect. 

“Can you guys be quiet? Can’t you see I’m on the phone!” Brooke screamed over the stomping feet and high pitched giggles coming from the kids.

Paige and the boys stopped running. Paige slowly walked into the kitchen and grabbed the jar of pickles off of the counter. “What’s her problem?” Paige asked Claudia quietly.

“Boy troubles,” Claudia said.

The two girls looked up at Brooke. They couldn’t hear what she was saying, but she had on her angry face and her eyes were swelling, the first sign that she was going to start crying. Paige sighed and grabbed a pickle. As she chomped on it, she watched the three boys walk back outside and head down for the trampoline.

“I’m glad I don’t have that kind of drama…” Paige said as she rolled her eyes and walked towards the foyer. “I’ll be in my room until Maddie and Chloe get here!”

Paige climbed the stairs, pounding her foot against each wooden step as she climbed up. She crawled across the floor, too lazy to get up and walk. Once she reached her room, she grabbed her iPad and laid on the floor, not wanting to get her bed or her desk chair wet. Paige’s blonde hair prickled her back as it hardened from the chlorine.

As soon as she unlocked her iPad, she popped open Twitter.  The first thing she saw was where Chloe tweeted. It said something along the lines of: I can’t wait to be spending the all week with Maddie while Mom is out of town! That made Paige upset. Usually when Christi would go out of town, Chloe would come stay with them. But she was going to the Ziegler house? Paige shrugged, maybe because it was closer?

Paige heard a car pull into the drive way, and out popped the matching girls: Chloe and Maddie. Paige knew they had a photo shoot that day for a line of dancewear they had just come out with. Paige was always kinda jealous of them. For one, they’re national title winners and the best thing Paige ever won was Most Entertaining. And that wasn’t a real award. It was one of those ‘We feel sorry for you, so we made up this award’ award. And Paige knew that too. Once she received it she was so proud, but as the days went by and she started seeing all of the awards Brooke, Chloe, Maddie, and now even Mackenzie were bringing home, it became more clear to Paige that she wasn’t as good as the other girls.

Paige loved to dance, all day and all night. She’d dance even when she wasn’t supposed to be dancing. She’d dance down the hall; she’d dance in the shower. It didn’t matter where, but she loved it. Abby just wouldn’t give her the time of day. Paige watched Chloe bring home crown after crown, sash after sash, constantly getting first, same with Brooke and Maddie. Paige quit dance for a year, so upset that she wasn’t winning anything but her friends and sister were. She joined back in and Abby started dishing out what she had built up for so long. While Chloe got private lesson after private lesson, Paige got lecture after lecture.

Paige sighed and look a quick picture before uploading it onto Instagram. She didn’t look the best, but in the seventh grade, what does that matter? Paige looked back out the window and watched as Maddie and Chloe pulled two bags each out of the back of the car. Chloe and Maddie wore jean short shorts and white tank tops with brown sandals and those cheap sunglasses you can buy at the grocery store. Their hair was down and straight, and their make-up was done perfectly. From where Paige was, they looked like perfect Barbie dolls.