Chapter 1

I open my eyes and sit up in my bed. It's the middle of the night, and the rest of the initiates are sound asleep in their beds. Well, we aren't exactly initiates anymore. I smile, remembering seeing my name right in the first place slot.

But I also remember the fears, the reason I woke up in the first place.

I shudder, the images flashing before my eyes. I wish I had only four fears like Tobias.

Oh god. I think. I need to go find him. I jump to my feet, careful I don't wake up the rest of my peers. Nobody moves, and I sneak out of the door.

I jog around the corner, hoping my memory is right. I get to the door I believe is Tobias's and try to open the door. Locked. Well, I wasn't expecting anything but.

I knock lightly on the door, praying he's still up. Still nothing. I knock slightly louder this time. Finally, the door creaks open and I see Tobias squint and look at me.

"Tris." He says, suddenly alert. He lets me in, and I sit on a small couch. I stroke the leather with my fingers while Tobias sits next to me.

His hair is disheveled as if he just got up, which is probably true. He wears a simple gray T-shirt, with black shorts. He's barefoot, and his eyes are filled with worry. "What's wrong. Why are you up at 3 in the morning?" He questions.

"You got injected today." I say.

"Yes, everyone did." He says, slightly annoyed. "You didn't have to wake me up to point that out."

"Yes I did." I growl. He better take me seriously, or else hundreds could die, including my family.

He looks at me a little more seriously now, "Then please get to the point Tris."

"The things we were injected with weren't just trackers. They're how Erudite is going to get their army."

I can practically see the gears turning in Tobias's head. His expression is one of deep thought. "I'm going to go to the the computers." He tells me, then gets up.

"Why?" I ask, also standing.

"Because I'm going to try to fix this!" He yells, causing me to shrink back.

"I didn't mean to get you so angry." I apologize. "Should I go with you?"

"No. I'm not getting you kicked out of Dauntless the day you are accepted. Go back to sleep." Tobias says, then walks out of the room.

I have nothing to do but wander back to my room, so I do. I lay on my bunk for about a half and hour, but sleep doesn't come. All I can think about is what Tobias is even doing. He was so vague about how he was going to 'fix' this problem, and it worries me he will get caught doing it.