─ chapter twenty-nine

Mackenzie had just left her dorm room after sleeping in a little late

Mackenzie had just left her dorm room after sleeping in a little late. She had of course had an eventful night and even though she felt a bit of a cold coming on, she had decided to spend the Saturday in the library doing some extra studying. Just as she was about to walk off down the hallway, she stopped in her tracks upon hearing her name being called from behind. The redhead turned around to see Elyse coming towards her.

"Oh! Elyse, hi," Kenzie greeted the blonde with a wave and a smile.

"Hey, I was looking for you. How are you doing?" Elyse asked.

"Hey, uh. I'm fine, I was just about to head to the library," Kenzie responded, smiling softly at the ice princess.

"Oh, okay. I just wanted to check in on you after what happened yesterday..." Elyse explained.

"Yeah, I think I'm getting a bit of a cold but it's nothing that a bit of nice tea can't help." Kenzie replied enthusiastically. She had an excuse to drink more tea, at least.

"You got lucky then," The blonde commented. "Some people end up getting really sick or even in the hospital."

"Oh... that's awful." Kenzie furrowed her eyebrows, frowning a little bit. "Seems like you saved me just in time then." She smiled.

"Yeah... Listen there's another thing I wanted to ask you..." Elyse admitted a little nervously.

"Oh? What is it?" Kenzie asked, furrowing her eyebrows in a mix of concern and confusion.

"Do you have any plans for the christmas break?" Elyse asked.

"Well... no. None at all, there's no going back to the Isle and I've never celebrated Christmas before. So, I don't know." Kenzie shrugged, her fingers tucking a piece of hair behind her ear.

"I was thinking... since you said you've never celebrated Christmas... maybe you'd like to come to Arendelle with me for the break?" Elyse asked quickly. Kenzie's eyes widened as she listened to the blonde's offer.

"Really? You'd... really want me there? What about your mother, is it okay with her?" She asked.

"I already asked her about it and she agreed," Elyse replied, acting a bit more cheerful than usual. "And of course I'd want you there. You're... well you've become one of my closest..." The blonde hesitated for a moment, "Friends in a short period of time and you've never had a real Christmas so... I thought it'd be fun." Kenzie's lips curled into a grin, she practically jumped on Elyse to envelop her in a hug.

"Oh my! That's amazing, Elyse I would love to, it would be such an honour." She exclaimed, before clearing her throat and pulling back from the hug. Her face began to flush red.

"O-okay, I'll let my mom know you're coming." Elyse stammered, blushing a bit as well.

"Yeah, uh, thank you. Really, a lot," Kenzie nodded, pushing a hand through her red hair. "Is that all you wanted?"

"Uh... yeah. I think that was all. Check up on you and invite you to spend Christmas with me. Yup, that was it," Elyse rambled. "And I'm going to shut up before I become Autumn." Kenzie let out a soft laugh, tucking a loose piece of her hair behind her ear.

"Okay, well. Thank you, Elyse." The redhead responded, adjusting the books in her hands to be holding them more comfortably.

"Hey guys!" A peppy voice came from behind Elyse. "How's it going?"

"Hey Evie," Elyse greeted politely, turning to see the blue-haired VK.

"Oh, hi Evie. I was just about to go to the library, actually," Kenzie explained, looking at the blue haired girl with a polite smile on her lips.

"Wait Kenzie, are you okay? You look paler than usual." Evie questioned with concern, cupping the redhead's face in her hands.

"Oh, yeah. I'm okay, just coming down with a bit of a cold." Kenzie explained, shrugging her shoulders.

"A cold? Why are you just in a thin jacket then?" Evie asked.

"She doesn't have any winter clothes. Found that out yesterday." Elyse interjected.

"What??" Evie exclaimed. "How?"

"Um... I've never seen snow before so I got a little excited and didn't realise how cold it would be..." Kenzie explained, letting out an awkward laugh since she was a little bit embarrassed by the events.

"So wait. You have no clothes? What you're wearing is the warmest you have?" Evie enquired.

"Uh yeah. We couldn't really get the most suitable clothes on the Isle, and we had no snow there. Just cloud and rain," Kenzie explained.

"Oh, we need to fix that now!" Evie declared. "I'll make you some clothes to last you for this winter and we can restock your closet later. Okay?"

"Oh no, Evie I couldn't ask you to do that. It's okay, really," Kenzie said quickly, not wanting to make the girl go through such trouble.

"Nonsense! I've been wanting to start a new project for weeks!" Evie assured her. "Come by my room when you can and I'll take your measurements. It'll be no trouble at all"

"Really? Well, if you're sure. Thank you so much," Kenzie replied, smiling at the blue-haired girl. She definitely appreciated the kindness.

"No Problem! I need to go pick out the fabrics! See you two later!" Evie said, before spinning around and speed walking off quickly.

"Bye... oh she's gone..." Elyse muttered. Kenzie giggled softly, before tucking a piece of her hair behind her ear and pursing her lips.

"Elyse... will you come with me? I don't know Mal and Evie all that well so I think I'd be more comfortable if you were there..." The redhead asked a little bit awkwardly.

"Yeah of course!" Elyse said a bit excitedly. "I mean, I'll be happy to." She continued a bit more awkwardly. 'Pull yourself together Elyse,' She thought.

"Okay great! Great.." Kenzie responded enthusiastically, her smile broadening. However, after she composed herself a little more, she spoke again. "Well, I'm gonna head to the library for a few hours, but I can text you when I'm about to go." The girl suggested.

"Okay, yeah. See you then. I better head off too, I got... a thing..." Elyse replied. "I gotta do a thing."

"Oh? What thing?" Kenzie asked, raising her eyebrows at the blonde.

"Just a thing. Not important. Gotta go, bye!" Elyse rambled, quickly spinning around and wandering off just as Evie had a couple of moments earlier. Kenzie raised her eyebrows, watching the blonde go before she shrugged nonchalantly. She smiled to herself, turning on her heel and heading off in pursuit of the library as she had originally intended.

-