Last words (angst)

Gerald wasn't sure if he'd make it this time. He shouldn't even be driving. Why did he agree? 
"Stupid stupid stupid" Gerald muttered to himself, looking at the gaping wound in his arm he'd sure bleed out from. After crashing another bus, a large shard of glass ripped his skin, piercing it greatly making a long tear on his arm. There was blood. Blood everywhere. 
"That'll leave a scar." Gerald wheezed as he inspected his arm. His lungs couldn't take it. His ribs were cracked and broken, digging into his lungs causing internal bleeding. The medical team on site, couldn't find his body, he was essentially dead meat. 
Gerald, amongst the rubble, knew these moments would be his last. Moving his arm, he tried to get his cell phone out of his pocket. His phone was destroyed, glass coming out everywhere, it was mutilating his fingers, taking more blood from his already feeble and weak body. He scrolled through his contacts, smearing blood on what's left of the screen and held it up to his ears. 
He dialled cimmerian, his co-worker. Gerald never got the chance to tell his co-worker how he really felt about him. His heart stopped a beat whenever the other man walked past him, let alone smiled. 
The phone rang. And rang. And rang. Gerald let out a breath, losing hope. 
"Hello? Gerald?" Cimmerian spoke. He actually picked up.
"Hiya cimm, are you still at work?"
"Yeah, what's up?"
"Nothing, just a check in."
"It's a bit strange but very nice of you. I'm alright thank you, and you?"
Gerald let out a small chuckle. "I- I'm fine." 
"Well, I have to run. I'll catch up with you soon. Maybe after work?"
"Sure. I'd like that." Gerald teared up, knowing he'd never make it. Never able to let him know how he felt. "Oh, Cimm..one more thing." 
"Hm?"
"I..I love-"
"Wait there's a breach! Phone you back." Sirens could be heard from the other end which quickly stopped as the other party hung up before Gerald could interject. Well, there went his chance.
He teared up and didn't bother holding them in. He let out one more smile, happy to hear Cimmerians' voices one last time. As Gerald let out one more sigh, he closed his eyes to never wake up again.