Prologue

Today was the day. I took on a role I never thought I’d have. This was never the future my mother set for myself, or our family; I was hurt and feeling a sense of betrayal if you will. The years I spent with the love of my life changed so much in me that new revelations made these new arrangements harder for me to accept. This just wasn’t what I wanted. I begged and pleaded with my father, but to no avail. I couldn’t get out of this.

“Do you need any help, Karina?” My sister asks as she enters the room.

“I really don’t want to see you right now Julie.” I stared out of the window, watching everyone move their way into the gardens. Sadness was overcoming me and all I could do was watch as my life was beginning to end.

“Karina, please. I’m sorry, I didn’t want this, we didn’t want this.”

“Mommy prepared you your whole life for this, and you decide at the last minute to change your mind. You know what’s going to happen now.”

“Please, I need you to forgive me.”

“Just go, Julianna. I don’t want to see you right now.” I continued watching from the window, and heard footsteps behind me.

“Mija, are you ready?” It was my father. I turned to look at him, hurt and sadness overcoming my face. I thought I saw a flicker of regret in his eyes, but he held his head high in his decision and it quickly went away.

“As ready as I’ll ever be.” I lifted each side of my gown, and brushed passed him entering the hallway. My father betrayed my trust and love for this family when he ultimately decided to force me to marry someone I no longer loved. And my sister? Abdicating the throne and leaving me to become Queen was a betrayal I’d never be able to forgive.

I made my way to the garden entrance and stood watching everyone with their smiles, talking to one another. Fiennes stood at the altar, grinning and waving at everyone who’d give him any sort of attention. He’s not the boy I used to know, and the man he is today is selfish and greedy. He is nothing like my Javi. I looked behind me to see if I could catch a glimpse of him again in the window. There he was, and just the same as I, with a look of defeat covering his face.

“Ahem.” My father clears his throat taking my hand. “You know this is for the good of both countries, and both families. What you’re doing will not be in vain.”

“That’s so easy for you to say.” I spout as I adjust my gown letting him know how unhappy I am by the tone in my voice.

Some Months Later

I paced the room, shocked about the information Javi and I just heard. Everything was now beginning to make sense more and more. But Javi was more confused about who he was now more than ever. You see, Javi was adopted by Harmony and she raised him as her own, but never hid who he was from him. She too, was a celestial being, half witch, half vampire who escaped an unfortunate marriage. The stories were, she was best friends with Luna herself, the closest of friends at that. And Harmony holds a great secret that Luna never wanted brought to light.

“Savoy, I’ve heard stories about him being the most evil of wolves.”

“Karina, he was the worst of them all.” Harmony says with sadness in her eyes. 

Javi turned his back to us and ran his beautiful hands through his hair. He tilted his head down, and turned back to face us as he let out a deep sigh of frustration. I knew he was just as confused as I. Harmony wasn’t giving us all the answers, but Javi was never one to shy away from asking what he needed to know.

“So tell me mom… What is this secret you’re keeping that’s so bad that Savoy has been hunting you all these years?” He says with anger in his voice.

Harmony closed her eyes and let out a deep sigh. She then lifted her hands and mumbled something under her breath, and in that instant, Javi’s eyes changed as his feet lifted from the ground in front of him. The moon omitted a bright light directly over his masculine body.