Tea For Two

I saw a picture on tumblr that inspired me to write this. A girl did actually get a note form someone saying that they were intrigued by her reading and wanted to get to know her. And i thought to myself, 'what would I do if it were me?' And then I wrote this story :)

I've decided that today is a day to make me happy. I'm going to call it 'make me happy day'. A day for me. I'm sitting on the cushion seats that line the wall of this cafe at this table alone. A cool breeaze comes through the door next to me and breaks the heat from the sun that shines through the windows behind me. The waiter places my hot chocolate in front of me and i lift my eyes momentarily form my book to hand him my thanks, then without a word, i go back to reading and fall into a world that is my own.

After I finish my hot chocolate I get up to go to the bathroom. Over the course of the time I had read I was so caught up in this book world that I didn’t notice anyone around me, or the busy line at the counter. I head to the bathroom and fix myself up in the mirror before making my way back to the table, asking for a glass of water and sitting back down to read once again. As I open my book a tiny note on green paper slips out.

It reads:

‘Hello.

You don’t know me and I don’t know you, but I’ve sat here for the last half an hour watching you read your book. And I’ve noticed the other people in the café intrigued by you reading. And I’m intrigued too. I’d like to get to know more about you, if this doesn’t sound weird to you.

Charles,

0494 355 255’

I pull out my phone and dial in the number. Why not? I mean, I’ve got nothing to loose. And today is my ‘make me happy’ day. So lets make me happy.

As soon as the number is in I type the message.

‘Did you really just watch me read for half an hour?’

I type, figuring that if that’s his real number that message will make sense.

I look around the café and realize that the line at the counter has gotten longer. There are heaps of people sitting around having coffee.

My phone buzzes beside me.

‘Yes I did, did you really not notice me staring?’

A half smile spreads across my face and I look up and around the café. No one catches my eye. Maybe he’s left.

‘No. And are you still staring now?’

In a few seconds my phone buzzes again.

‘Maybe. I’m trying to be a bit inconspicuous about it.’

‘Its working.’

‘So does this book girl have a name?’

‘Does this stalker have a face?’ I reply again looking around once more.

‘I don’t know, this is fun. I don’t want to spoil this.’

‘No name then.’

I put down the phone on the table and open my book again to start to read again. And as I reach the second line my phone buzzes again.

‘Ok, ok, but first what do you think I look like?’ he types

‘Brown hair, grey eyes and a brilliant body; and let’s say for fun that you have a tan.’ I think of a random description in my mind.

‘That’s really specific’

‘Well, you asked. Do I get to know if I’m right? I want to know if you really are creepy.’