Mother And Son - A Short Story

In a huge city, there was a woman sitting on a piece of cardboard with a boy playing with his broken toys came from a nearby landfill, She is Elizabeth with his son Phillip, Phillip was just 8 years old who helps his mother by lending their hands to strangers to give them money for a food. They both hungry since there's only a few people who gave a money for them but it wasn't enough to buy a food for both of them, so they need to work hard and continue asking people, however, people just ignored them and it seems like they being disgust by their physical appearance, then two people came at them, the face wasn't clear because of a too much sunlight and they gave a piece of paper with a money behind it, Elizabeth look at it and read it, it indicates "trust god, and have faith" when she lift up her head, both of them are gone.

There's a lot of chance that they need to leave the place and they don't have a choice but to leave because they don't own the property where they lived, "Mom? When will we have our own house?" Phillip said, And she said "If you're graduated in college and get a decent job, that's why I want you to work hard for whatever you do." Elizabeth turns her head away from her son and burst to cry. "What's wrong mom?" Phillip asked, "No, It's nothing, get your stuff and we need to leave now" She said while wiping her tears in her eyes.

They walked for a long hours trying to find something inside the garbage bags to sell it and to earn a money as well, until they stop in a school and Phillip was just staring at the students through the gate of the school and he says, "I want to be like them, I want to go to school mom." He held his mother's hands while saying it. She said, " We still don't have an enough money, but I will find a way for you, son, I promise." , "Thanks mom!" he said following a hugs and kisses. There's no mother can't do anything just to make her child happy, she look at the paper that two people gave to her and says "I can do it!."

One day, Elizabeth asked her friends that she knew around the neighborhood if they need someone to do their laundry and luckily her good friends still doesn't do their laundry and they need a person to do it for them, and that makes Elizabeth happy while thinking to herself, "This is for you, my son!." And Elizabeth's friends take care of her son Phillip while she do her work.

She works really hard, Morning till midnight, until many people offered her a decent job, and for her the more opportunity, the more responsibilities that she had, it was full of hardships but she never lose hope because that hardships is for the future of her son. Until the money she kept and earned is enough for her son to enroll him, afterwards she enrolled her son to a school and that was the start of everything towards their dreams. Elizabeth is very excited and went into a nearby clothing store and search for a low price of a school uniform until she found one and immediately go to the cashier right after.

The opening of the classes began but Phillip still not even know what to expect at school because he's a new student, Phillip experienced bullying at school because of being poor but he just ignored them because what's really important for him is to study and bring back all the sacrifices of his mother for him until a lot of students saw his confidence and courage so Phillip gain more friends because of that.

Phillip study really hard and use his time very wisely to study, a lot of teacher's like him so much because of his intelligence, that's why he received a lot of medals and certificates with the help of his mother as he step into first grade, high school, and college. Years passed by and Phillip keeps growing, he never forget the memories of hardships and difficulties that they went through, after he graduated in college, he finally got a decent job as her mother said to him when he was just a kid, aside from that, he finally bought a house that serves a gift for his mother. "Mom? We finally made it!" Phillip said to her mother, "It was a big blessings for us, I'm so thankful that god gave me a precious son just like you, thank you, my son!" she said while crying infront of him and Phillip hugs his mother and he said "We wouldn't make it, if it wasn't for you, that's why I am so blessed that god gave me a mother who's very hardworking, you raised me so well, thanks mom!" Phillip burst to cry while saying it to his mother.

Phillip treat his mother to a restaurant and they both have fun together as a mother and son, after that, they leave the restaurant, outside the restaurant, they've seen a mother with her son and when they get closer, they just lend their hands on Phillip and his mother, while looking at them, A sudden flashbacks hit Elizabeth's mind, it was all about their memories together and she says "This where we started, a time that we don't have anything, it was a long time ago since we are in their position." Elizabeth get the piece of an old paper in her wallet indicating "Trust god, and have faith" and she gave it to a mother together with an enough money to sustain their needs for a day, Phillip and Elizabeth start to walk away, the mother look at the paper and a drop of tears fall down on a paper, she look at her son and immediately hug him.

"Trust god and have faith, Everything will work out in the right way, at the right time."

                                                                       ~The End