Pilot

Hiya, I'm Layla Riley, I'm 27 and I live in New York City. I'm just about to start my first day as a CSI at the New York crime lab, I can't wait to start as I'm going to be working beside some of my friends. I'm hoping to see Don as I haven't saw him since I was 18. The reason I decided to become a CSI was because my best friends, Cassie got murdered when we were 14. We did everything together, I miss her so much, I have moved on but I will never forget her or what happened to her. My dad was also murdered in a shootout so that was all the more motivation for me to make my career happen. 

~~My Past~~ 

I have lived in New York City all my life with my mom and dad. I grew up around cops. My mom and dad worked for NYPD, that's how they met. They would be sent to crime scenes together. Even though my mom and dad worked as cops, they always had time for me. You might think it must be horrible to have both parents as cops, not knowing if they are going to come home or not. I do worry about them everyday, but I don't let it hold me back, any time I get to spend time with my parents, I do. Sometimes, my mom and dad's friends from the department would come by to visit, sometimes they would bring their kids with them so I can play with them. 

The department would have get togethers every now and then with all their families. I always played with my best friend, Don Flack. We would always go over to each others houses to play. We were stuck together like glue, you could not pull us apart until when he was 18, he went to the police academy to follow in his dad's footsteps, I never saw him after that. When I was 16, I was at school when I got called to the principals office. I didn't know why, because I knew I didn't do anything wrong. Once I got there, I saw two cops there waiting. The principal told me I had to go with them because something happened to my dad. They took me to the hospital where my mom was standing waiting for me. 

It turned out my dad was hit in a shoot out and died during the surgery. My mother went into deep depression, I never showed my feelings about it because I knew I had to be strong for my mother. A year later, my mom was finally getting back to her usual self, I knew she would never be the same, but if we could get her back to being happy, then I would do anything to make that happen. I always wanted to work in law enforcement but, when Cassie died, I decided then that I wanted to become a CSI. When my dad died that gave me more determination to follow my dream and become a CSI. So, when I turned 17, I went to NYU and studied criminology and science for 7 years, then I went to the police academy for 3 years. I met one of my best friends there, Danny Messer. We would always get teamed up together, so we became really good friends.