Good Night

It happened to be a crisp, and bitter evening for those in Ohio. Weather reports had forecasted a gloomy blizzard for the upcoming evening, with high winds at forty miles per hour and a terrible cold that ought to leave one with those nasty, peeling blisters.

Mr.Chamberlain- a forty year old middle class man, was awakened on this very evening. He was seated there by the crackling fire, a glassy flagon of scotch in his hand as he gently listened to the piping of the wind, along with the raw whistling of the snow.

Apart from these sounds. . . the household was utterly quiet. Mrs.Chamberlain- his wife was long asleep, along with his seven year old daughter, Ellie. It was nearly midnight now, and the broad, ashy ebony clock at the end of the lingering corridor now ticked twelve.

Tick Tick Tick.

Quiet.

It was then Mr.Chamberlain heard not only this, but a soft, muffled whimpering sort of sound. He rose from the lounge botheredly, and wandered down the dimly lighted corridor.

The generator was in distraught this evening. It's batteries were thinning out, and due to this the corridor lights flickered occasionally, and when this happened it left the hallway to have an eerie, ghostly sort of presence.

Mr.Chamberlain strode past the sealed doors 'til he came upon one where the faint sobs were now notable. He widened the door to discover his daughter lying sprawled upon her bed, her white sheets drained with droplets of tears.

Ellie had short, amber hair- like her mothers, and brilliant blue eyes. She ordinarily held a cheerful sort of appearance. However, she lay now with her cheeks a rosey red color, and her eyes pink and puffy from crying all too much.

"Ellie. ." he whispered warily, now dashing towards her bedside."Ellie. . . what's wrong?"

Ellie's eyes dazzled frightfully, and squirmed towards her father, so that they were only a mere inch or so away from one another.

She whispered,"there's a monster under my bed."

Tick Tick Tick.

Quiet.

"Monster, no no no. No monster's sweetheart-

Tap Tap Tap.

Interrupted, Mr.Chamberlain glanced earnestly at his daughter, who gasped frightly- clapping her hands upon her mouth as she plowed her head under the warmth of the sheets.

There's a monster under my bed.

Mr.Chamberlain ducked his head under the boards of the bed, and to his terror he peered into the dazed eyes of his daughter. "Daddy. . ."she whispered."There's a monster on my bed."