Chapter 1

"Nicole, can I see you for a minute?" The principle asked as she entered the classroom. I nodded as I got up from my chair and saw all the faces of my peers snickering at me. I shrugged it off as I walked to the door passing the teachers desk on the way. When I got to the hallway I was surprised to see Ms. Trako give me a worried look. 

"What do you need me from me" I asked. 

"Come to my office with me, there's something we need to discuss" Ms. Trako replies as she rapidly walked down the hallway. I started to follow but as she disappeared behind the corner I started to dawdle. I looked around to the the poster on the large white bricks forming the wall, running my finger between the little crevasses the bricks have as they had been place along one another. One particular poster caught my eye however, the dance this Friday to celebrate the end of the semester. The school had these type of dances twice every semester at the beginning and the end. Even though I have no friends, I always attended just for the pizza and the root beer they have as my parents would never let me drink it. I inspected the poster further but to no avail saw anything more of interest, so I continued to the principal's office. I have lost my way as I have never been to the principals office because I have never been there; I was never absent or did anything to get me sent there. I now wondered why I was being sent there and lost deep in thought as I bumped into Andrew as I crossed a corner sending us both to the floor.

 "Ow, hey Andrew; what's up?" I asked. 

"Nothing much, just heading to the office" Andrew replied. 

I gained hope as I asked "Can you bring me there?" 

"Sure thing" Andrew hesitantly replied. Walking through the hallway I got kind of an awkward vibe as I only know Andrew from my biology and excell math but didn't know him on a personal level. 

"So uh, you going to the dance?" I asked to create small talk. 

"Yeah, wouldn't miss it; they have the best root beer" Andrew responded cheerfully "what about you?" 

"I agree with your thinking, that's why I go." I said in response to Andrew's question. 

"See you there then" Andrew said to finish the conversation. As we walked in silence for the next minute I felt calm hearing the footsteps echoing In the hall but was interrupted by the huge "principals office" sign hanging from the ceiling. 

"Here we are" Andrew said. I nodded and walked in with him and upon entering saw two men in suits standing next to the desk the principal was sitting in. 

Before either of us could speak one of the men addresses us in a formerly fashion and told us "you have been chosen to participate in a social experiment sponsored by the government. You will attempt to kill one another for the next six months, failing to do so will result in both of you dying. You may use what ever means necessary as long as it is for the sole purpose of killing one another. You may tell your friends, family, whoever you like; this will not change your fate. You will be supplied with weapons, ammunition, explosives, etc. each week. Two starting week crates have already been placed inside your homes. You will not go to jail for crimes committed by yourself if your main goal is to kill the other person."

The two men showed their government issued ID's and left the room before we could speak. Ms. Trako spoke "We can't stop this. It's absurd; but both of you both know that we can't go against the dictators wishes"