Jade Hunter

Prologue:

June 23, 2008

"Jade, Jade listen to me." Her mother spoke, nervously. Tears were in her eyes, gently holding her daugter's face with her blood stained hands. "Your name is Ashley Starr. okay?"
"But my name is Jade Hunter," her daughter said, confused, but mostly frightened.
"I know, I know-" They could hear the door banging downstairs. "Please, Jade. Just promise me you won't give away your identity." Jade could see the desperation in her mother's eyes.
"I promise-" There was a loud crash downstairs. It sent shivers up Jade's spine. She knew the door was busted open and people were coming inside. "Mom, I'm scared. What's going on?"
"Keep this with you. It has everything you need," her mother said. She placed a gray bag on her shoulder. "Make sure you keep it safe." They heard the floors creak as the heavy footsteps walked up the stairs. "I love you Jade," her mother said as sweetly as possible, with the tears finally falling out. "Now hide."
The child obeyed and found herself crawling under the bed, lugging the bag with her. "I love you mom," she whispered, knowing her mom could hear her.
As if it were on cue, the bedroom door came bursting open. Jade saw the men storming in, with their black outfits, swords at the ready. It all happened in a sudden flash. She heard her mother scream in pain and agony. All that could be seen were the silver streaks of swords, the dark shadows of the killers, and the thick red blood on the floor. She couldn't speak or do anything about it, otherwise she would get slaughtered as well.
When they all left, Jade crawled out of bed, toward her mother. After crying and crying, she hugged her mother's still body. She wasn't surprised the jewel her mom wore around her neck was gone. /Why would they want to steal that and nothing else?/ Jade wondered.
At the police station, she was asked many questions about what happened. What did they look like? What did they sound like? What weapon could you see? Jade answered those questions as honestly as possible. Now were the questions about her.
"How old are you?"
"Almost ten," she answered without any hesitation. Her tenth birthday was in two days.
"Where is your father?"
"He's dead."
"Do you have any close relatives?" they asked her more gently.
"No."
"What is your name?"
This was the only question she thought about. Jade looked at the gray bag her mother gave her and held it tightly. Slowly, she answered. "Ashley. My name is Ashley Starr."

Author's Note: I wrote this prologue back in the fourth grade so it's not so good right now... I plan on continuing it so I can put some of my creativity into words... Let me know what you think... (Warning- I tend to get off topic when I write so I may take breaks... Long ones)