i

❝ 𝑾𝒆 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝒍𝒊𝒌𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒃𝒓𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕 𝒎𝒐𝒐𝒏, 𝒘𝒆 𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝒅𝒂𝒓𝒌𝒆𝒓 𝒔𝒊𝒅𝒆

𝒘𝒆 𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝒅𝒂𝒓𝒌𝒆𝒓 𝒔𝒊𝒅𝒆. ❞
𝐊𝐡𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐥 𝐆𝐢𝐛𝐫𝐚𝐧

┍━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━┑

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐎𝐧𝐞
𝑼𝒏𝒅𝒆𝒓 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝑴𝒐𝒐𝒏𝒍𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕

┕━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━┙

Her teeth clamped down on the leathery texture, the taste of salt blooming over her tongue as she fiddled with the multicolored cube on her lap. Poised in the lotus position, her back was pressed against the wall and she faced the only door in the room. She carefully chewed on her snack and flicked the faces of the cube until nearly all of them were uniform. Noise from just outside her room made her pause, looking up at the steel door when the locks started turning. 

It slid open with a loud noise that would undoubtedly awaken everyone in the other cells. She set the cube to the side, watching warily as her handler came into view with a disgruntled expression on his striped face. There was a leash and a collar in his hands. “Get up, 02.” The white tiger grunted, “You’re getting out of here.” 

She pushed the rest of the dried meat into her mouth before it could be taken from her.

In a world where beasts ruled, being human was a curse. Viewed as pets, humans were mere accessories shown off by those in high society. Seeing one outside the big cities and the Black Market was extremely rare. One attending school by themselves? Even more so.

She thumbed at the metal plate on the black collar wrapped around her neck, ignoring all the stares and whispers around her. 

All humans were obligated to wear a collar with an identification code. That way, if anything were to happen, their owner could be located. Uncollared humans were taken into custody and placed in adoption clinics until someone with the right qualifications could take them home. Those bred and sold illegally in the Black Market weren’t documented, which meant they didn’t have an identification code. However, when the right strings were pulled, papers could be forged— even for humans from fighting rings, like her. 

Having connections in high places made living under disguised independence much easier.

She was mildly surprised, yet pleased, that most herbivores and carnivores went out of their way to leave her alone. The rumors and anecdotes of humans eating both herbivores and carnivores made them stay away. She’d gotten a table in a comfortable corner all to herself during dinner, wrinkling her nose at the sad looking soy meat on her tray and choosing to eat the bread and fruits instead. A quick, unamused glance up made all the other students scramble to turn back to their meal and pretend they hadn’t been staring.