Drops of Holiday Cheer

By Brent and Hannah

Have you ever written a story with someone where you write part and your friend writes the next part? You each go back and forth like this until you have a completed story. This is the result. Enjoy!

Section 1 – Chris

The house is dark and quiet, except for the rain pattering on the roof of our log cabin style house. I sit awake in my bed on the second floor of our little house, not able to sleep. It is five weeks before Christmas, and I have no present yet for my sister or my parents.

Even though I am a senior in high school, I still don't know what to get anyone. All I know is that I want the new video game, Super Mario: Jupiter Rising. It is to be released two weeks before Christmas; enough time for anyone to get it for me.

I run my hands through my short, jet black hair and scratch behind my ears. Each year, my parents ask me if I want a puppy, and each year I say, "No!"

My parents just don't understand that the Mushroom Kingdom needs a hero to save it from the villainous, King Bowser. They don't understand the bullying that goes on when we don't find the next secret star before the next day at school.

I head out the front door into the cool, humid night air. I walk to the edge of the covered porch and look out over the steps and front lawn, at the slow falling rain. I close my eyes and hold out my hand to catch some of the falling drops of water.

"Can't sleep either?"

The voice of my little sister startles me. I turn and see her sitting in the large porch swing wearing her favorite light green night gown. I walk over and sit down next to her. I put my arm around her, and she lays her head onto my shoulder. I breathe in the scent of her hair, and it makes me smile. Not only is her hair the color of black cherries, she uses shampoo with the same scent.

"I have no idea what to get Mom and Dad for Christmas," I say as I continue to look out at the rain.

Section 2 –Sherry

As my head rests against his chest, I can hear his heart beat. It's not fast, but it's not quite a resting beat either. "To be honest, I haven't even thought about what to get them. I know that Mom would want something for the kitchen, but I have no idea what; she has everything. And Dad, oi, he spends all his time on the lake, fishing, when he is not working. I don't know anything about fishing."

I stop talking and continue to hold my brother. At school, he keeps his guard up for my sake, but at home, he is like a big teddy bear. In his embrace, the world is silent, and I can relax and think.

After a few minutes of silence, a thought comes to mind. "Maybe I could draw them something." I sit, listening to the rain fall on the roof as my mind searches for something I might draw for them. I sigh. "I love you, big brother," I say and give him a squeeze.

"I love you too, sis," he replies, and I feel his embrace tighten slightly.

As I listen to the rain, I feel content with my brother next to me, but I start to get sleepy and desire my bed and pillows. A little yawn escapes my mouth, so I stand and stretch. "Good night," I say to him before heading through the door and up the stairs to my room. I shut my bedroom door and collapse on the bed. Before I drift off to sleep, I let my mind wander about what I would need to get everyone for presents. A few things come to mind, and I jot them down in my notebook. Sleep comes quickly after that.

The next morning, I wake up and stumble into the kitchen. I am still half asleep and look around the cabinets for something to eat. I decide on cereal and pour a bowl for myself. I hear Chris coming down the stairs. "Morning," I mumble through a bite as he enters the kitchen.