Don't Take My Heichou Away

Angst

Based on 'You Are My Sunshine' by Elizabeth Mitchell

Eren's PoV

*・゜゚・*。*・'・*。*・゜゚・*

Everything's a rush.

He falls to his knees before me. I try to catch him before he hits the ground, but I miss. His head impacts the rocks below us, sounding with a dull 'thud'.

I want to scream out to him, but I can't... It hurts to much... Everything hurts - my head hurts, my muscles hurt, my eyes hurt, my throat hurts, my soul hurts. Tears threaten their way out.

I jump off of my horse, abandoning the rest of my team to run over to the collapsed body. Jean reaches for my arm, but I pull away.

"Eren! Get back over here!" He shouts at me as I dash over to the Corporal's body. "Jaeger!" I don't listen. I think the team finally realized what happened... Everyone stopped riding towards the Titans in the distance.

Kneeling down, I grab Heichou and move him closer to me; I practically set him in my lap. I check for a pulse. It's faint, but it's there.

"H-Heichou, you're alright, y-you're gonna make it, okay? O-okay, Heichou?" I frantically ask the Corporal. His eyes are still open, they train on me. The tears start streaming their way down my face. The make their way down my cheeks, collect together at the bottom of my chin, then drop at a steady pace; each one creating a new stain on Corporal Levi's cape.

I hear footsteps behind me, but I don't turn around... It's only Jean and the others. "Eren..." I hear Hanji step closer.

"No..." I whisper, partly to Hanji and partly because of Heichou. "H-he'll be okay, right?" I turn around for my answer. I don't get one. "Right?!" I start shouting. The tears have become a constant stream. I turn back to Heichou. His eyes are open slightly.

"Levi! I-I mean Heichou." I took down at his slowly paling face.

"No.. Levi's... Levi is okay," Heichou chokes out. My sobs stop. He never lets me call him Levi. This may be the only time I'll get to talk to him as my equal... The thought brings tears to my eyes. I hug him closely.

"Le... Vi. Stay... Stay with me," I plead with all my heart.

"I-I don't.." Levi breathes in deeply, "think it works l-like... That." Tears trickle down his face. I adjust him in my lap, only causing him to take a sharp intake of air.

"I'm sorry! I-I'm sorry, Levi!" I panicky shout.

"I-it hurts," Levi cries. Humanity's most powerful soldier... Crying... "It hurts... So much."

"I-I know, Levi. Stay with me, it's okay... It's always okay..." I put my hand on his cheek. "Please don't.. Don't cry." I start sobbing again; I'm such a hypocrite.

"H-hey, look at it this way..." Levi begins. I try to wipe enough tears away, so I can actually see him. "You're only the second person to ever see me cry."

"B-but... I never wanted to see you cry," I sob. Levi's eyes close. "No! Come back!" I shout. "Levi! Open your damn eyes!"

"I-I'm here..." Levi whimpers. "But not... Not forever. That's-that's why I need to tell you... That I... I.." Levi doesn't finish; he lifts his hand to my chin and pulls me down to his level. Our lips connect. "Love you..."

"I love you, too," I manage to choke out. This is probably the only time we'll kiss...

Levi wipes my tears away and looks into my eyes. "Don't miss me too much, brat..." He smiles. This is probably the only time I'll see him smile.

"You better wait for me, you old man.." I laugh through my tears. Levi's breaths slow down. His eyes start closing.

"Eren..? I love you..." He whispers 'I love you' over and over again as he slips away from us... Away from me. This is the only time he'll call me Eren instead of brat or Jaeger.

"I love you, too, Levi..." I hug his body as tightly as I can to my body.

I remember a song my mother used to sing to me whenever I couldn't sleep. Not knowing what else to do, I start singing.

"Y-you are my sunshine... My o-only sunshine... You make me happy... When-When skies were grey... You'll never know.. Dear.. How much I love you..." Levi stops moving. "Please... Don't.. Take my Heichou away..." Levi's last breath was in my arms.

I lean down to kiss him... He doesn't kiss back.

*・゜゚・*。*・'・*。*・゜゚・*

This is a oneshot I wrote to try to make my friend feel actual emotion while reading fan fiction.

I later posted this on my other story, Pens and Paper {Ereri AU}