Chapter 1

Orihime slowly chewed the food that Arrancar had just brought her. What was his name...? Ulquiorra? Is that what they called him?

She missed her own clothes. She missed her own home. She missed meals that didn't taste normal. But most of all, she missed comfort. She missed the comfort of a friend, of a brother. In Hueco Mundo, it seemed that was an impossibility.

It smelled really weird too...

Orihime sighed and dropped the fork. She was nowhere near hungry, but they were going to make her eat anyway. She had another fourty minutes to choke it down, though.

Ulquiorra was so cold, she thought. He had no compassion, no feelings. She thought that at least one Arrancar had to have some feelings. But she couldn't count on it. She couldn't count on anything. Anyone.

Other than herself of course.

Why can't they just get a different Espada to attend to me? she thought angrily. Ulquiorra was so infuriating! Why not send someone who had some emotion!

Orihime sighed again. She wished she could do something other than stay cooped up in this jail cell. That's probably why she was so frustrated.

She wondered what day it was. What time it was. You could never tell with that moon in the same place all of the time. But, then again, that was most likely the thing that's kept her sane until now, the moon. After all, it was quite beautiful. Besides, it was the only light in the whole room.

Orihime stared at the food in front of her. It held no appeal, but she had to eat it. She didn't want Ulquiorra to do anything too...rash, for lack of a better word. She picked her fork back up and ate piece by peice until she was ready to throw up.

Ulquiorra would just have to get over it. She couldn't eat this bland food anymore.

"Hey, hasn't it been an hour already?" she asked herself. He wasn't there yet. Usually he came earlier than the expected time.

Orihime shrugged. She could go to sleep and then he wouldn't have to--

The door flung open, making Orihime flinch. Her grey eyes landed on Ulquiorra, who was more interested in the half-eaten food than her. Her heart sunk in her chest when those emotionless green orbs landed on her.

"I thought I told you to eat, Inoue Orihime."

Orihime kept her face as expressionless as stone. "I ate all I could. I said that I didn't want it. I force fed myself, so I saved you the trouble. You're welcome."

He didn't give any indication that he was surprised. Or frustrated. Or angry. Or sad. Or anything.

"Inoue Orihime, what is your purpose here?"

Mentally, she rolled her eyes. She had already been through this. "To serve Aizen-sama and his will," she responded, still expressionless.

"And that means you have to stay alive," Ulquiorra said. She nodded. "Which means you have to eat." He motioned to the food. "Eat and I'll leave you alone for the rest of the day."

"No!" she blurted. Then she blushed with embarrassment and, strangely, fear. "I mean, I'll eat it, but..."

"But you do not wish to be left alone?"

She shook her head sadly. Ulquiorra nodded. "I'll ask Aizen-sama if someone can keep you...company. Now," he continued, "eat."

Orihime swallowed her disgust and stood. She made her way to the food, picked up the fork, and forced a bite into her mouth, chewed, and was unable to swallow. But somehow, after convincing herself it was better to eat so she could destroy the Hogyoku, she pushed it down her throat. Bite after bite, Ulquiorra watched, and bite after bite, Orihime felt closer to sickness. But it was for the sake of the world--the Hogyoku had to be destryoed. And for that she needed strength.