Chapter 1

"You don't control my life!" I said yelling at my foster mom.

"You don't understand how difficult this is?!" She yelled back.

"Maybe I do!"

I put on my gray hoodie and walked out the back door, I just kept walking and didn't look behind me.

"Where are you going?!" She said with anger.

"I don't know." I just kept walking I didn't want to look back.

I walked a trail in the forest the musty air made it hard to breathe I didn't know where I was. I started breathing heavy and fell to the ground, all I could think about was my brother and how I left him alone. I started to cry and fell asleep and all I could see was black.

I woke up the next morning and water was drizzling damping my face and my long blonde hair. I got up and felt light headed but I just kept walking and walking. I was getting hungry really hungry. I could see a gas station off to the distance. I started running towards. I walked up and checked my pockets. "Nothing", I said under my breath. I had too shoplift it was all I had. I walked in and kept my hood over my eyes and didn't make eye contact. I grabbed a bag of chips and stuffed it in my sweatshirt and walked causally out the door. I wasn't caught, until I felt someone tap my shoulder and I turned around. There was a boy my age, with long brown hair and brown eyes. He smiled at me and asked for my name. "Tris I said confidently." "We'll Tris I believe that you forgot to pay for that", as he pointed to my sweatshirt. "Oh, right" I stuttered. "I'm sorry", and told him the truth.

"Do you need a ride home?" "I don't want to go home." And kept walking. I walked at least 2 hours since I've seen that idiot. I was embarrassed and angry. I looked around me and saw only old run down homes. Then I heard a truck coming up behind me. I looked back it was the guy from the gas station. I rolled my eyes. "Hey need a lift?!" I kept walking ignoring him like I didn't know who he was. "I'm fine thanks I said" "you sure?" "You look pretty tired and hungry!" I looked around me and got in the car.

I was shivering and looked down. "Do u need anything, a place to stay"? "No, I'm fine" I stuttered. "You don't seem fine," he said softly. I didn't say anything there was just silence. My jacket was soaked and my shoes were muddy. My legs were on fire from running. I started to tear up. He looked at me and said "tell me your story." "There's nothing to tell," I said with sorrow. "I reject, of course you do," "well I'm 14 years old, my parents were killed in a fatal car accident when I was 5, I moved 5 different foster homes and was separated from 2 out of my 4 siblings... I ran away my foster mom she is abusive she would beat me and my brother until our bruises were the size of a baseball." "I'm sorry, you wanna stay at my place tonight?" "I guess so... Where else do I go."