Donovan Mabuz

"You deceive me" he said as his grasp on my throat tightened. I sensed his discomfort and doubt as he did so and knew this would be my last chance to escape. "Do you really want to risk me telling the truth? Oh Donovan, you of all people should know not to play with death". I looked him in the eyes as a look of fear mixed with rage crossed him, and with that I took a breath as I felt my body go limp and my vision blurred.
                                           * * *
"Aella!" I heard my mother shout as I groggily emerged from my room. "You're not dressed yet? Come on I need you to help me pick everything up for tomorrow! Busy busy day ahead of us". I groaned in agreeance and went back to my room to get dressed. I never understood how my mom could be so energetic in the mornings, she must spike that morning tea of hers because nobody is that bubbly. My mother is one of the sweetest,gentlest, and caring people I've ever met. She is a short curvy woman with long raven black hair and a tan complexion,complete opposite as me I suppose. She has beautiful chocolate brown eyes that with one look could calm a raging sea. I on the other hand am on the taller,chubbier side of the spectrum. With short brown hair and amber eyes I was never considered beautiful by society's standards. "AELLA ARE YOU READY YET" I quickly put on a hoodie and ran out the door with a hairbrush in one hand and my phone in the other. Rushing past her I ran into the Car and yelled out "YEA WHATS TAKING YOU SO LONG??" She laughed as she got in, buckled her seatbelt and handed me her phone. "We're gonna need envelopes, boxes,stickers- hey are you writing this down?A!" I looked at her shocked at the fact she assumed I wasn't paying attention. "Such a small person, such big energy. Of course I'm writing it down I know not to cross you when I'm tired mama" "well at least acknowledge that you're doing it, jeez Aellita you know how important it is for me to know you're listening" "yea ok you're right, envelopes, boxes, stickers... what else?" She huffed in frustration "well now I forgot¡ see what happens?" I took her hand and looked at her "mommy what's wrong? You know everything's gonna be ok right? I'll help you just try and calm down we won't forget to pick anything up" she sighed as she looked out the windshield noticing that the what seemed to be clear sky a few minutes ago had suddenly become grey and cloudy as if a storm were about to start. "You're right I just get the sense that something bad is going to happen." I nodded in acknowledgement which was enough for her to sit up and start the car "well enough of that! Put that cooome on baaaaby song that I like and let's get those boxes!" And with that we drove off to our nearest staples to get everything we needed for the days to come.

Our little shopping trip was pretty uneventful if you dismiss my moms overly excited reaction to remembering she needed tape. As we entered our driveway I caught a glimpse of a seemingly attractive older man in a suit waiting at our door. "Ohhh mom who's that? New boyfriend?" She seemed shocked to see him there and started to panic. With a stern look she turned to me "Aella I need you to stay in this car no matter what happens understand?" "Wait what why?" "I don't have time to explain right now but you need to listen to me. I am going to go inside the house with that man and you are going to hide in the back seat. Slam the door when we are inside he needs to think you went for a walk or something. Do not talk to anyone about this unless you are certain you can trust them. I love you so much pollita" with that she pushed my head down and got out the car to greet this mysterious man. I heard the front door shut and quickly did what she instructed me to do. I covered myself with a blanket we had laying in the backseat and laid on the floor between the seats. I could hear my mother's voice shouting but was unable to make out what was being said, when suddenly I felt my blood run cold and my surroundings blurred as silence crept over me. I heard the front door slam once again and through teary eyes I could make out the face of the man. He had silky black hair and piercing gold eyes. His eyes though warm in pigment maintained a cold glare as I saw him search for me. I held my breath as I heard him get closer to the car. After what felt like years of silence and waiting I got up and rushed into my house where no sign of my mother could be seen. I frantically searched for her but she was nowhere to be found. Suddenly I felt a strong force drag me upstairs. It was as though my feet had a mind of their own and I was led to my mothers dresser. I opened the drawer and as I did so a blinding blue light emerged from a small notebook she had in there. I opened the notebook and felt a rush of energy pass through my body. Suddenly I could feel my mothers presence, I could hear her voice in my ear telling me to read the notebook. Reading the first page my eyes must have been deceiving me, This book is the personal property of Cyra Auden, high priestess of Ravenna Magicaouslia.