Chapter One

••• Riley Mathews •••

Growing up I've always lived in the shadow of my best friend Natalie Burrows. Always watched as she bathed in the attention from everyone whilst I watched from afar. I never complained once because that's how our friendship works, normally people would hate somebody stealing everything from you but I didn't care.

Walking silently through the packed halls, I made my way through the crowds of students and to English. Keeping my head down and not looking anyone in the eye I shuffled my feet into class, nobody looked up, they never did. It's like I was invisible to them, I've always been invisible. To my parents, everyone. Only Natalie spoke to me and even then I always preferred being on my own. Not that I don't love her, which I do, it's just she always talks down to me. As if she's better than me, she is of course but I still don't like it being pointed out. So I nod along with her insults and complaints about my daily outfits which she would call 'the hobo look', I thought I looked fine.

"Stand up straight" Natalie snapped, I straightened my back a little and she scowled from her seat. I shrank down next to her at my desk pulling out my books as she talked to her group of friends ignoring me.

Natalie was, how would you put it, the Regina George of my high school. Weirdly enough, we're best friends, well that is until her other friends come along. The popular ones. Your typical blonde hair, big boobs, low IQ. Yeah, Natalie fits right in. Her shiny blonde hair which she insists is natural falls poker straight around her shoulders and her bright green eyes are one of her bet features, aside from her massive boobs which we all know are fake.

She was the polar opposite of me in looks and in personality. Me, I have long dark brown hair and dark brown eyes. I'm tiny and Natalie's tall, sure I have long legs but not nearly as long as hers. She's popular, I'm not even that, nobody knows I exist, and I like it that way. The only drama I have to deal with is Natalie and her drones which thankfully most of the time ignore me. She means the world to me and all but sometimes, I couldn't help but feel like shaving her head just to see her reaction.

The teacher walked in and began the lesson, Natalie and her friends started texting like usual and I furiously scribbled down everything he was saying. I was smart, very smart but I still liked to have all the notes. When the bell rang I placed my books into my bag and turned to Natalie.

"I'll be at my locker" I mumbled, she looked at me annoyed.

"Quit mumbling and speak clearly" She snapped, I gulped as I felt my cheeks blush. Her friends laughed behind her and she smirked a little.

"Locker" I whispered and left without another word. Yeah I know, she's a bitch, but she's my bitch and she does have her good moments I swear. They're just very rare to see and hardly ever happen. I walked to my locker and dumped my books inside and twisting the lock, only one more period left.

I walked slowly towards my maths classroom and took my seat, looking up I watched as Natalie sauntered in with her friends behind her. She gave me a small smile before quickly looking away, her friends gave me a disgusted look before sitting down also, bitches.

The lesson went by quickly and soon the bell rang signalling our freedom, I quickly packed up my stuff and headed out the door. I walked down the halls and out the front door and sunlight hit my face, I smiled instantly at the warmth on my face and started my journey back towards the pack house.

I'm a wolf, I belong to the Black Ice Pack. Natalie's a wolf too and so's the rest of her friends, she hasn't found her mate yet and neither have I. Personally I can't wait till I find him and fall in love, I'm not usually a romantic but when it comes to finding my mate I would love nothing more than to be with him. I turned to corner and walked down the narrow lane to the house, Natalie and her friends drove past in her car.