46. Matter Of Time

Seattle Washington - Discovery Park, March 7 1991

(Andi is 20)

ANDI: "Ugh... what the fuck," I groan trying to lift myself up from the cold damp ground. I push my messy long dark curls out of my eyes and find myself somewhere outside in the middle of a dark forest. I can hear the waves softly crashing against the shoreline but I still couldn't make out just where I ended up. My head was pounding like something fierce and it was hard to open my eyes.

I knew I shouldn't have drank that much.

I slowly gather myself together, shivering like a leaf from the early spring breeze and try to focus on just where I was.

Fuck, it's so cold. Why is it so cold? Why did I have to slip?

Using my one arm to try to cover my chest, I take a few steps, using each tree for support, trying not to feel the pain of the various sticks, rocks and other materials beneath my feet. After a few moments, I make my way closer to the edge of the trees and see the open shoreline and the lighthouse far off in the distance.

I must be at Discovery Park, but why did I slip here?

As far as I could tell, there wasn't anyone here, except for a van that was parked just up from the campsite, and the sky was so clear and completely lit up by the incredible full moon. I decide to take my chances and see if that van was unlocked or if anyone was inside. I slowly make my way over the rocks and sand, wincing every few steps and shivering all along the way, finally making it to the sliding door of the van and peak inside. I see a ton of blankets and a couple of duffle bags in the back so I reach for the door handle to try my luck and low and behold, the van is open.

"Oh thank fuck," I say shakily, still shivering like crazy, climbing inside and sliding the door closed.

I quickly grab a blanket, wrap it around myself then rub my hands together, breathing on them to get warm. Still feeling somewhat drunk and a little warmer, I grab another blanket to wrap myself in and lay down curled up on the makeshift bed of whoever's van this is. At this point I don't care if someone finds me, I'm too cold and drowsy from the drinks to worry about it, and before long, I found myself drifting away to sleep in the bundle of blankets.

*****

"Hey! Hey, what are you doing in here?"

I faintly hear a voice as I slowly try to open my eyes and then I feel them push me to try and wake me.

"Hey, wake up!"

"Ok, ok I'm sorry," I say in my groggy hoarse voice, pushing my curls out of my eyes and sit up, pulling the blankets up over my chest to see Eddie looking back at me.

"Holy shit, Andi... omg I didn't know it was you, I'm so sorry," He says quickly changing his tone, his brow furrowing as he climbs in the back of the van and draws me into his arms. "Are you ok? What happened?"

"I'm ok, I uh... I don't know, I time slipped I think... um when am I?" I say when I pull away from him and he sweetly brushes my curls behind my ear.

"It's March '91... Jeezus Christ, I'm so sorry I thought you were a drifter or something," He says with a chuckle and I smile at him, his eyes gleaming in the darkness of the van with only the moonlight shining through.

"No, it's ok I mean, I can kinda see how you would think that... since I'm not looking my usual self y'know with... clothes and all that," I giggle and he offers a small smile.

"I didn't think I was gone that long, when did you end up here?" He asks, his brow furrowing again, those messy curls tucked behind his ears.

"Honestly I don't know. I was in the woods and pretty much stumbled my way to the shoreline and that's when I saw the van so I took a chance... obviously... I mean I was so cold but I didn't know this was your van - "