Chapter 1

A/N: There's a deaf character in this story, so whenever anyone is signing, the text will be in bold, and if they're talking and signing at the same time, it'll be in underlined bold to make it less repetitive. June's face claim at the top. Her Instagram is anxiousluna if you want to check it out. She's honestly so pretty.

Juniper POV:

Shit shit shit shit shit.

I was doing fine this morning. I was on time. How the fuck did I end up an hour late to school? Oh, Mom's going to kill me. She's gonna call Baba, and they're going to kill me. I'm going to throw up. I'm running too fast. My legs hurt. Why didn't I just ask Jaz for a ride?

I narrowly avoid getting hit by a car as I'm sprinting across the school parking lot.

"What the hell, dude? Watch where you're walking!" The guy leans out his window, screaming at me.

I turn, running backwards and almost falling backwards, "I am so sorry! Really!"

I nearly trip on a rock, decide it's not my time to die, and turn around again to run into the building.

Ms. Lerman leans out of her classroom, scowling, "Juniper. What do you think you're doing running down the halls an hour and a half after class has started? You are interrupting my class."

"Yes, I'm sorry Ms. Lerman, I won't do it again, I'm just really late and it's my first day back." I stop to talk for a second, out of breath.

Thankfully, she let me off gently with a scolding and I'm on my way again. I don't resume running until I'm out of her line of sight. The office is just around the corner when I slam into another body. We both crash to the floor, the contents of my backpack spilling out onto the floor.

She lets out a grunt and several curses, rubbing the back of her head and lifting her upper body off the floor. I roll off of her as quickly as I can.

"What the hell? Why in the world are you sprinting down the hallways at-" she pauses to look at her watch, "9:30. Why aren't you in class? Are you skipping?? You're going to get in so much trouble if you get caught."

I want to laugh, but I'm so out of breath from running that it hurts, so I just groan instead, and begin to pick up the books that fell out of my bag. I haven't even looked at the girl yet, I'm just panicking to get to the office before they call my parents. Baba's going to kill me if they find out I'm an hour and a half late to school.

"Hey. I'm talking to you. You haven't even apologized." She shakes my shoulder, "Could you look at me?"

I see her reach to help me pick up my books, and glance up to her face. She looks vaguely familiar. Almost firetruck red hair cascading down her shoulders and bright ocean blue eyes practically glowing. I falter in picking up my books momentarily, lost in her eyes. She's hot. I mean, like, I'm looking respectfully. She picks up the rest of my books for me, and sets them in my hands before standing up. Honestly, I would let this very familiar woman step on me and I would apologize. I snap out of it and stand up, bringing my backpack in front of me and putting my books away.

"Oh my gosh, are you deaf?" Her eyes widen and she gasps, "I just assumed that you could hear me and were ignoring me."

I look up to her fully this time, "No, I'm sorry. I can hear you. I've just been running the whole way here and I'm out of breath. It's my first day back, thanks for apologizing though."

Her eyes widen when we make eye contact. I put my backpack back on and brush my hair out of my face. 

"Do I know you from somewhere?" She brushes a stray strand of hair behind her ear, "You look very familiar."