Chapter 6: Finale

As soon as America woke up, he remembered the amazing events of the previous day. He began thinking of all of the things that they could do today. How he could spend more time with his hero. America turned to look at the other bed in his hotel room, almost expecting Washington to be there. Instead, the bed was empty and well made. America felt his heart break in his chest, but forced back the feeling of sadness. 

Was it all... just a dream? Was the whole experience of fianlly being with George again just made up by my imagination so that I'd feel comforted?

America felt like he could scream in agony. It had all felt so real! The cloth of his suit felt real. The eyes looked real. The warm of George's hand on his shoulder felt real. It all felt real! Before America could cry, he noticed something on the bedstand. It was a small black box, and underneath it, a letter. America cautiously grabbed the two objects and opened the letter nervously.

Dear Alfred,

I know that you must have felt an overwhelming shock upon my visit the previous day. For that, I am truly sorry. Don't doubt for a moment that what occurred yesterday was real. I wish I could have stayed longer, but I knew it was something I must do. My family and others will be expecting me to return soon. But this does not mean that I dont care deeply for you. You are as important to me as the rest of my family. In order to make up for my disappearance, I have left you a gift. Please open the box, and then continue to read this letter. 

America paused to pick up the box and open it. He gasped. Inside was a necklace with a carving made of mahogany wood. The ornament was decorated with the carving of a cherry tree branch on it. America was so touched that he almost forgot to continue to read the letter.

This necklace is one of the many that I have made for all of my family. It shows that we all are together and will stick together. It symbolizes that you are a Washington. You are my son, and I, your father. Many have considered me as "The Father of His Country" and you and I have been close in the past. Hopefully you can accept this gift and never remove it.

Before I depart, I would like to say goodbye to you. When you are ready, come to the meeting hall where we met yesterday.

Your Humble and Faithful Servant, 

G.O. Washington

By now, America was fighting back tears. 

"Father, you are far too kind to me," Alfred sighed as the looked at the necklace. Without hesitation, he slipped it over his head. 

"Once a Washington, Always a Washington," America murmured proudly. If only he could have seen the warm look George gave him as he watched from the Heavens above.