Blurred Lines: A Different Christmas

How do we write Christmas fics in a really weird year? I'm still not sure, but I tried to string together a bit of relief for the end of December. I'm shutting myself up now, even though there's lots I want to say. This is for anyone who wants it, anyone who needs it, anyone who enjoys it (or hates it!) silently and vocally alike. My Christmas gift is the happy and unexpected bonus of anyone reading what I have so much selfish fun thinking of and spinning out. Happy and Merry Christmas if you celebrate it, and a happy and merry end of December if you don't and are just doing you! x

"You coming home with me this year?"

Again. He asked the same question you've been dodging for weeks since plans had started to look uncertain again, not because he was pestering you, but because somehow, some way, you were both hoping for an answer with a loophole.

"I can't," you said softly, regretfully, holding your phone close to your face with one arm as you curled up under the duvet of a bed in an apartment that had somehow become yours together instead of his alone throughout the course of a very new, very different, very unsettling year. "For a few reasons."

And he knew that.

Harry's deep breath crackled and he dragged his hand down his face, holding it there as he shook his head, the thought processes you'd learned to read so well hidden from view.

You'd liked going home with him last year -- loved it, even. You'd hardly had time to look forward to a repeat when the world had flipped in the first quarter or sooner, and the sand had just kept slipping through the hourglass until all time for hope of a new and normal Christmas was gone and sucked away into the void of the year.

So many plans. So many memories that lived only as memories of daydreams now. So much else, so much more important, devastating, and tragic you couldn't even put it into words and, frankly, didn't want to. Not now -- you spent too much time thinking about it to think about it now, too.

"Filming's done soon," he said from behind his hand. "I can book my flight to New York--"

"Harry--"

"And then go to Manchester after Christmas -- after the New Year, we always take a bit of a longer break. Mum won't mind--"

"Your mother's barely seen you since last Christmas," you said. "Your sister, too, and there's not enough time to--"

"Course there is!"

"Two weeks quarantine in each?" you asked. "That's a month of staying put, let alone--"

A split second glance at his face was all you saw before the screen went black and you bit your tongue. He hadn't hung up, because you'd heard the soft thud when his phone collided with his chest, and you could hear him breathing now, so you waited, suppressing your own urge to snap as he had his. Despite having spent the better part of the year together, it was frustrating to think about not being together for the season. All you wanted was him, though you knew better than to voice it out loud. He'd do it -- for you, he'd do it if you asked him to -- and you'd have to live with the guilt of taking him away from his family at the time of year where family should be together most, if it mattered to them. And you'd been weirdly lucky enough to have him most of the year between carefully navigated business trips. He was only one man with one body. It didn't -- couldn't -- matter that you wanted him, too.

That you wanted to be with the man you loved.

When he picked up the phone again, his face was drawn, tired, and not just from filming, you suspected.

"Go home," you urged, swallowing the break in your voice. "You miss home, and home misses you. I'll have fun decorating and send you all the pictures you won't be able to do anything about."