Stolen Beauty

The moment of shock when you find instant attraction rattles your entire body. The enticing feeling carries you towards this new person with nothing but curiosity and interest in mind. You may not have known them for long, however, the way you feel makes it believable you have known this person for years. Such an intense reaction takes all of your attention. You no longer live for yourself—you live for them.

Your eyes fall upon the most beautiful person. Every feature was perfect. You wished to run your fingers through every strand of their soft hair and touch the soft features of their face. Their eyes, however, stuck out the most to you: the mixture of hues with specks of gold had you in a trance. They seemed to be glowing with beauty. You were at a distance but you could hear them laugh. The divine sound made your body fill with butterflies. Encasing you with an internal warm feeling that heals all wounds. Their smile could ward off any negative energy; so precious, so pure.

To feel love for someone is to walk across a rope 500 feet high. The path ahead leads to a state of peace and solidarity. But the rope is frail. It can break within an instant.

Trusting someone so much is a terrifying act of blind dedication. Your partner could turn away at any moment using what information you have shared with them against you. I vow to never let that happen. No matter how much I care about someone, I must leave them, for I fear getting hurt.

A stupid fear, isn't it? To fear that anyone you get close to will turn around and stab you when you are not looking. A sharp knife from the kitchen could end your life in an instant, yet it is so available. This is why had chosen to be alone. No constant fear of betrayal. But they made me rethink my doubts. Maybe, just maybe, this time would be different. Maybe this time I would be seen, held, and loved.

-

Months later, the person I saw that day stayed on my mind. Am I on their mind too? Do they place me next to the beauty of spring? Do they think of me as a bright light that shines for the happiness of people? They have to. It cannot be just me with these feelings.

I begin to stalk the weekly newspaper to see any sign of my love. My sketchbooks are filled with pieces of my love. I want to find them. I wish to see their beautiful face once more and bask in the happiness they give me. They occupy my thoughts at all hours, my dreams are filled with them.

Dressing myself with the proper winter attire I step into the outside in search of my love. I walk aimlessly around my town hoping to once again see their bright eyes shine with happiness.

My body begins to shiver from the cold, my toes and fingers were numb and my nose threatened to spill at any moment. I decide to pause my search at a nearby library. Upon walking in the smell of old paper enters my nose, calming me down. Books have always been a safe space for me since they cannot hurt me.

My thoughts are interrupted by the laugh of the person I have missed so dearly. I look over so fast my neck burns, but I don't pay any mind to the pain. There they are, my love, the one I have been looking for. My breath quickens. What now? I have found them but I have no after plan. Befriending them would only open up a space for them to hurt me, but I need them. Even if I wished to make advancements I have no experience with romantic talk or actions; I would just ruin any chance we had. I must have them.

Home is my next destination. Questions and anxious overthinking clutter my mind. My pulse begins to race, my breath once again quickens, and my mind begins to blur. I only just get inside my house before the panic starts. The rush of adrenaline fuels my body as I prepare my home for two. Everything must be perfect for my love.

Locking the latches behind me I lock and cover all of the windows so they cannot look inside. A gunshot rings through my eardrums from the television show sending me into full panic mode. They're listening to me. I pick up the umbrella in front of the door and smash the tv with all my strength. Silence.