Dinner

At dinner, Therese waited for Carol to join her as she says her farewell to the 3 other people she was with.

'What am I doing here?' The young woman asked herself. She is left with a conflict inside her, she knew that life wasn't made to be easy.

Just when Therese was about to stand up from her chair to head for the doors.

" I wasn't sure you'd come"

Followed by
"It's nice of you to see me"

That voice...
It's the one she knew very well. Quite too well to be honest.
The voice she studied during the round trip before the new year.
The voice that she repeated in her mind over and over again like a broken record. Ever since she woke up in an empty bed the next morning that happened to be one of the best night in her life. And... The voice that Therese had missed so dearly.

"don't say that" Therese murmured. Almost unnoticeable but Carol paid extra close attention.

Carol also understood that Therese is in pain but she couldn't help but ask "do you hate me, Therese?"

No answer

Carol can only blame herself because Therese is being cold and it's all because of her own doing.
"I'm sorry" the older woman whispered with her vocal cords barely letting her speak due to her voice shaking.

Although Therese chooses to say nothing again.
She knew that she didn't feel any anger towards Carol. I mean, how could she? Theresa adored this being in from of her, Therese knew Carol had responsibilities... The only thing she felt was the heartbreak that was still bleeding. She tried to ignore that feeling but she finally admitted to herself that this isn't a wound that can be mended by a band-aid.

"Abby tells me you're thriving" Carol let out a half-smile. God knew she was very happy for Therese but under the circumstances... They both felt the awkwardness lingering in the air.

Therese felt centered by the voice that Carol had brought up. She took a sip of her tea and nod her head to let carol know she agrees in silence.

"Have you seen Rindy?" Theresa suddenly questioned, keeping her eyes on carol's blue ones, it did it again... It sent involuntarily shivered down her spine.

"she's staying with Harge... For now... Until the final hearing" carol said looking down on her plate, as she reached behind her neck. She does that when she's worried or uncomfortable.

"Anyways, we're selling the house and I got an apartment nearby... It's big enough for two"
Carol forced a smile as she looked up at Therese.

"I was hoping to ask you to live with me... But I guess you won't... Would you?" She added, tilting the corner of her eyebrows, closest to the bridge of her nose upwards. Wishing Therese say 'yes'

"Oh, no... I don't think so" Therese replied
Holding her ground. Making sure Carol knew she was fine all alone. She wanted Carol to know she was a sting and able to live without anyone.

"Well, that's that" carol smiled sadly and Therese continued to observe the person she hasn't seen in months. She is memorizing every inc if Carol's face, every curve, every wrinkle, and every word that the blonde says aloud.

"I'm sorry but I need to go" Therese as she began gathering her purse. Trying to avoid eye contact.

"But we just got here" Carol pointed out with sadness in her voice that was quite obvious.

"May I ask why you are leaving early? I'm sorry if I had you feel uncomfort-" Carol was saying when Therese cut her off by saying
"I feel fine... It's just I have a date in 10 minutes and I don't want to be late" she said with a smile that didn't reach her eyes.

Carol wasn't able to let out any word. All she could do was look down and look back at Therese, trying to understand why did she allow it to get to this point. If she had told Therese
'to wait' for her in the letter before she left for Florida. Now Carol felt helpless.

"I'm sorry Carol," said Therese, and Carol was left at the table watching the one person she wanted was walking away from her to be with someone else.