Chapter 5 - Tear

The little girl was sitting on the chair that had been laid out for her from before. Her father, and the old woman were talking about something important. Or at least it seemed to be that way. Because always, when the little eight-year-old girl visited the lady, she was alone. But this time her father was also sitting in that room with her.

The room was a huge office that had around ten meters in length and eleven in width, she had walked every marble on the floor on her own and measured every wall. She was sure her numbers were right. In the middle of the room was an old table that belonged to the woman that called herself "Doctor Flores", the same lady that had meetings with Avantika once every week on Saturday afternoons.

The walls were all painted in white and some pictures were hanged on them. Miss Flores said they were for "special treatments" and Avantika had no idea what that meant. In front of the table were two small chairs for others to sit on. Usually, one was occupied by Avantika and the other by Miss Flores while they talked, but today it was her father that sat beside her. It made her nervous to have him here, this was supposed to be a safe place for her, or the middle-aged therapist called it as that. No one, no one that Avantika did not like, had the permission to walk in her safe space. Miss Flores had promised her that, so why was her father there? She would defiantly remember to ask that in her next session.

This time, unlike every other meeting, they had given her a book to occupy her with and told her that they need to talk about something. Avantika had wanted to refuse but one glare from her father made her think twice and sit like the "good girl" that she needed to be.

"Mister Evans...I'm afraid I don't have good news regarding Avantika's test results." The forty-three-year-old woman said, looking at the papers in front of her, inspecting for a particular one and taking it out to hand it to Avantika's father. She looked worried, and the middle-aged man also seemed rather furious. For a moment Avantika thought that the look on his face was concern and not anger. After all, why would her father be mad? She had done nothing wrong, right?

He took the paper and put his glasses on to look, then turned right back to the poor kid beside him to give her a glare. As the woman saw that the man was being too much, she took the lead of conversation once again. "as you can see...we were right. She seems to have issues."

"and what do you mean by that?" the girl's father asked with a low but sharp tone. The woman bit her lip and closed her eyes for a second, then opened them and faced her companion once again. "I suspect that she has fifty percent chance of sociopathy that might even increase as she ages."

There was only silence for a minute in the room. Avantika looked at her father, next at the psychologist and saw a look of worry in her eyes. She did not know what sociopathy meant, but from her father's expression it did not seem any good. Had she done something? She hated it when her father scolded her. Was he going to shout at her again? She hoped not, his face became so scary when he yelled, and every time Avantika would cry. And if she cried, he would yell even more, calling her a cry baby, calling her weak and useless.

But this time, her father just asked miss Flores to leave, the woman nodded her head and left the room while sharing a slight smile with Avantika right before closing the door on her way.

Then...silence. Only silence, pure silence as her father inspected every inch of the paper in his hands. Right when Avantika was finally telling herself that she had not gotten on his bad side, he turned his head to her. His eyes were red with anger and his brows had taken a funny shape on his face. He was angry, incredibly angry.

"so, this is who you really are.' He whispered to her and she only looked at him with confused eyes. What did sociopathy mean? Was it that bad?

"you should have died alongside your mother you stupid child. Do you know how much of an embarrassment you are to me? The one and only MR Evans has a sociopath in his family! Worse, the bitch is his heir!" Avantika looked down at her feet and closed her eyes, holding back her tears. She tried singing a song she liked in her head as her father continued to swear at her. "you are useless, just like your dead mother! I should have just remarried and had a son when she died. How am I going to leave the company to you? A sociopath!" then he mumbled something about how she would ruin his business.