Prolouge

A stroll down memory lane is always enjoyable. Well, mostly enjoyable. Every single time something ruins it.

It was a dark night, and there was a small room, illuminated by candlelight, in which you could see the shadows of 2 people together. Inside the room was filled with positive energy, and there were lots of giggles. It was a small room, with only a single bed, a table, and nooks for candles, as well as a 2 cabinets for storage. The two people appeared to be a mother and her child, who was around 6. They looked very alike, both sleek, with the same black hair, and yellow eyes. They looked to have catlike features.

"Mommy! Mommy! Tell me the story!"

"Only if you say the magic words"

"Pleaseeeeeee"

"Nobody knows exactly how this story goes but I'll try my best. Once upon a time, 1000 years ago, people didn't have animal traits like everyone does now. These were the weak humans, power-hungry, and didn't really care for anyone. Naturally, they got what was coming. In about a week, a whole lot of disasters swept through the earth and killed about 95% of the weak humans. They were left with only about 5%, and everything was destroyed. They had to be resourceful. They made shelter anywhere. They traded with each other. Eventually, being exposed to radiation for so long gave them animal features. And here we are, 1000 years later."

The little boy looked puzzled. "Mommy, you forgot to tell me about the kingdoms!" His tail twitched a little.

"I told you I wasn't perfect. Only one more thing, mommy has a big day tomorrow."

"Whatever you say." He rolled over toward his mother's side and gave her an enormous hug. She smiled.

"In the midst of that chaos, we set up kingdoms and clans. There was the aerial kingdom, led by the butterfly clan. There was the earthly kingdom, led by the wolves. There was the nautical kingdom, led by the fish. Last but not least, there was the underground kingdom, led by the mole clan. We are in a sub-class of a bigger clan. We have black cat features and are from the cat clan." She was out of breath but got out of bed.

"I wanna blow out the candles for you! Pleaseeeee?"

"Ok, ok."

He blew out the candles, and snuggled into bed next to his mother, wearing homemade pajamas.

"Will daddy ever come home?"

"No, but don't worry buddy, you'll always have me."

They both fell asleep shortly after.

"Wakey wakey,  I have apples! We have our first harvest out in the woods!" She said.

"Yay!" He took a bite into his first apple. A sweet taste filled his mouth. "Mmmmmmmmmm! Give me more pleaseeeee!"

"After you take a bath, I need to walk to town."

"Can I come?"

"If you insist, plus, I can't really leave you alone"

After the kid "took a bath" in the small but clear pond they walked into town. It was about 5 miles there, and a 10 round trip.

"Mommy my feet are getting tired. Will you carry me?"

"Magic word?"

"Please?"

She swooped him up, and onto her shoulders, with her tail wrapped around him. "All I need to get is more fabric and a few surprises."

- 1 Hour Later-

"Mommy, are we there yet?"

"Maybe, look for yourself!"

"Wheeeee!" She finally let him down and he ran into the town. It seemed to be the ruins of a big city on the west side of Canada. It looked to be somewhere north of Vancouver. They walked straight into an area full of stalls and stayed for hours.

"Mommy, we should go. It's getting dark."

"Oh goodness, I lost track of time."

The two hustled back, arms full of things.

"Mommy watch out!"

Someone ran at them from behind.  He pushed into the mother and she fell to the ground.

"Run!" She screamed out

"Oh, you aren't going anywhere..." The other figure, who had wolf-like features, grabbed the neck of his tiny jacket, which ripped. He ran and hid while the wolf-person was still confused.  The child darted behind a rock. His mother slashed across their attacker's face, leaving a huge cut. His yell of pain echoed through the trees.

"I'm gonna make you pay!" He was in a fit of rage. All the kid heard was the screaming of his mother. She drew her last breath that night. He stumbled home, which happened to be only a minute away, whimpering. The bed was wet with tears that night

So he had learned to adapt. There wasn't time to be a kid. He learned how to knit and sew, and started growing crops. He built fences and refused to go into town. Slowly but surely, he grew up.