Chapter Four: Field Trip!

I had finally come to terms with it. It took the whole weekend, but I had finally admitted to myself that I most definitely, no questions asked, liked Kageyama. A lot. I didn't know how I was going to tell him, if I even did at all. I did know, however, that even thinking about it made me double over in anxiety.

I was almost to the school. We had to get there extra early today so we could get to Tokyo at a reasonable time. I ended up seeing Kageyama on the way there, so we raced to the school like we always did. He won. Or so he said. It was always debatable as to who really won our races. The only thing that was certain is that we were here first. Just like every day. We sat and waited until Tanaka walked up and unlocked the gym for us. "You guys realize you didn't have to be that early, right?"

"We didn't have to wait that long... only like... twenty minutes..." I said.

"Twenty-! And I bet you got here at the same time, too." I opened my mouth to say I got here before Kageyama, but decided against it. Not long after, Suga walked into the gym and greeted the three of us. Soon after, the rest of the team flooded in. We sat and talked amongst ourselves until we heard the bus pull up, Coach Ukai and Takeda-sensei in tow. The former instructed us to gather up our stuff and get in pairs with who we wanted to sit with. We did so, and then we were instructed to go get on the bus, Kiyoko and Yachi first, since they were doing head counts again. Once we all settled in, the managers confirmed that we were all here, and we drove off.

Kageyama and I sat in silence. Eventually he pulled out a pair of earbuds and held one out to me. I accepted, curious as to what he listened to. He hit shuffle on his playlist, and the first song to come on was 'Stuck in the Middle With You' by Stealers Wheel. I quite enjoyed this song, and noticed that  occasionally, Kageyama would hum a couple notes of the song. His hum was a little scratchy, but damn it was attractive. He was also tapping his finger against his leg. He had gotten the window seat again, so he was looking out of the window at the rising sun. I looked at it and quickly got considerably sleepy. I yawned and closed my eyes. I stretched my arms out, careful not to pull the earbuds out of either of our ears, and opened my eyes again. I glanced over at Kageyama, and realized I had caught him staring. He turned back to the window, his hand quickly flying to the nape of his neck. I was tired, and felt myself getting increasingly more so. Eventually, I fell asleep, just like the last time.

~~~~

I looked down at Hinata, who had just fallen asleep on my shoulder again. I had forgotten the blanket this time, so I just let him be.  I figured he'd get cold and wake up, so I felt bad, but I didn't know what else I could do.

Except... maybe someone else had one. I figured I'd text Suga and ask him first. "hey Suga do you have a blanket? Hinata fell asleep and I don't have one" I texted. He replied almost immediately with a "yes," and I heard some shuffling at the front. Before I could even blink Suga was there, holding out a blanket for Hinata. "Thanks, Suga," I said. "No problem," he replied as I grabbed the blanket from him. I put the blanket around Hinata, and Suga took a picture before running back to the front of the bus. I didn't want to wake Hinata, so I couldn't do anything.

"Guess what." Damn it, Suga. "I just got a picture of Kageyama and Hinata that I think you guys will love," he looked me dead in the eyes as he pulled it up and started showing it to everyone. He knew I couldn't do anything about it. Bastard.
My face went extremely hot, and I looked down at Hinata. I looked back to Suga and raised my middle finger at him. "Hey, don't treat Mom like that!" yelled Tanaka. I mouthed "fuck you" at the both of them and started trying to go to sleep. It didn't take very long, as the noise and excitement on the bus died down.

~~~~

We hit a bump and I woke back up. Hinata was still asleep, but I recognized the scenery and realized we were almost to Nekoma. I looked down at Hinata and noticed that he had wrapped his arms around my own while I was sleeping. I could feel heat spreading across my cheeks. He was honestly really cute, if I was honest with myself. He was so small and fragile looking, almost as if he would crumble under my touch. I knew better than that, of course. I'd seen just how many times he had hurt himself playing and sprung back up like it was nothing. He had the resilience of a child.