Chapter 8

It took a moment before I realized what I'd just done.

"What?" murmured Ava. "You can't be serious."

I swallowed hard. "I meant what I said," I murmured quietly, going against my better judgment. "We're breaking up."

Ava's lip quivered. "But – but why?"

I shook my head slowly. "You really have no idea?"

She just stared at me, her eyes growing glassy.

"I feel like you don't really like me," I said bluntly. "You're demanding, you sulk when I don't do what you want, and you keep gaslighting me. I've had enough."

"But do we really need to break up?" fumbled Ava. "I can change, if that's what it takes!"

I paused. However, she didn't give me a chance to respond.

"No," she said sharply, clenching her teeth. "If you have a problem with me, that's your fault. There's nothing wrong with me. My behavior is perfectly normal. You're the mean one!" She jabbed a finger in my face.

"This is exactly what I'm talking about," I sighed. "Look, you're gaslighting again. I can't deal with this anymore."

"But you never said anything until now, so how could I know you were bothered?"

"I didn't even realize how bothered I was until yesterday. The way you talked about Felix made me realize how incompatible we actually are."

Ava's jaw dropped. "Incompatible?" she repeated, fumbling for more words.

I nodded. "You're too bossy, and I'm too compliant. That's only going to end well for one person, you know."

Ava's mouth moved, but no sound came out. Suddenly, she burst into tears. "Ethan, you can't be serious..." she sobbed, her tears leaving weird-looking streaks on her face and smearing her eye makeup.

I nodded, sighing resolutely. "I'm completely serious. I'm really sorry, Ava. I think this is for the best. We both need a break from each other."

Ava shook her head vigorously. It began to snow again, and flakes flew into her shiny, auburn hair.

I rocked uncomfortably on my heels. I couldn't think of anything else to say. "Well," I began awkwardly. "I guess I'll be going now."

I turned to leave, but Ava grabbed me from behind. She locked her arms around my torso, holding on tightly. I winced as she brushed against my incision site, but she just held on tighter.

"Don't go," she whispered, the side of her face pressing into my back.

I didn't respond. Squirming uncomfortably, I wiggled out of her grasp, prying her arms away. Once I was free, I made a beeline for my subdivision.

"If you go now, it will really be over, Ethan Azema!" Ava sobbed after me.

I hesitated before taking another step. I knew exactly what I was doing, but I couldn't go back now. Taking a deep breath, I squared my shoulders and walked away briskly, snowflakes falling straight into my eyes and catching on my long lashes.

Dazed, I made my way home. Unlocking the door, I stumbled indoors and collapsed onto the couch.

"What have I done?" I breathed, covering my face with my hands. The full weight of my actions was just now catching up with me. Another vision was fulfilled. Ava and I were over. There was no way we were getting back together. Just days before, I'd been confident that my will could beat these premonitions. I was sure that if I could only stay strong, I'd be able to stop them. What happened? What was the difference now?