Chapter Fourteen: New Identities

Six months later...

New York was easy to hide in. Thalia and Annabeth got a studio apartment on the fifth floor of some worn-down building. With all the people it was easy to hide. Thalia was a barista and Annabeth worked at a bookstore. Annabeth ended up giving up on writing because she wouldn't be able to get published and stay out the public eye. She nor Thalia had any social media. They didn't want to take risks and have Luke track them down. 

Annabeth was helping a customer. Her name tag read Ashley. Ashley McGyver. That was her alias. Jason's friend was able to pull some strings so the girls could pick their own names. Thalia went with Madonna Rattleforth even though the entire point of aliases was to blend in with the crowd. 

"Just because I'm hiding out does not mean I will downgrade myself to some modern name," she said. "Madonna is a queen," she would say. And every time Annabeth replied with, "She's also dead."

"Thank you so much," the customer replied and walked out of the store. 

Her boss, Alex, walked around the corner. 

"I was working," Annabeth said quickly. 

Her boss winked at her. "I'm not worried about that, you are my best employee," Alex said. "I just need you to work late."

Annabeth shrugged. "That's cool, you just have to pay me more."

"Done," her boss said. "Thank you, you're saving me," Alex said, then walked from the store. 

As Alex walked out, Thalia walked in. "Hey sweetie," she greeted. "I need the key to the loft. I left mine at the apartment this morning."

Annabeth sighed but gave her the key. "What is the point of having a key if you never have it?" she asked. 

Thalia ignored her comment. "How are you doing?"

"I miss him," Annabeth said, "a lot."

"Yeah, it sucks. I miss Jason."

"I didn't think it would be this hard." Annabeth sighed. "That ghost probably saved my life and I didn't even help him break his curse."

Thalia tried to force a happy smile. "One day we'll go back for him," she said. 

Annabeth sighed again and braced herself against the counter. "No, we won't. Luke would kill me, then you for helping me," she said sadly. "You better get to the loft. Knowing you, you have ice cream in the car, don't you."

Thalia smiled for real. "You know me so well."

Annabeth waved to her as she walked out. "I'll be closing tonight so I'm gonna be late." She turned her back to the door and stood at the register, counting the money made that day. She wrote it down in Alex's logbook. 

The bell at the door jingled. "We close in three minutes," Annabeth called out without looking at the door. "You better hurry up."

"Can't you make an exception?"

Annabeth dropped her pencil and turned around the voice. Percy was standing at the door (in modern clothing), smiling with his arms crossed. "Oh my God," she whispered. "Percy." Her face broke out into a grin she could not contain and rushed over to him. She threw her arms around his neck and inhaled his sandalwood scent. "How did you find me?" she asked. "How are you here?"

Percy returned the hug by wrapping his arms tightly around her. "You broke my curse. And I'll always find you. You're my soulmate, and soulmates always find each other."

Annabeth kissed him deeply before leading him back to the loft after closing up the tiny bookstore. 

And they were together till the end. 

The end.