Chapter Thirty-Four: Common Ground.

The pain was so unbearable that she couldn't see, her veins were bursting, suddenly it was all darkness.

She knew the pain didn't belong in her body, and with one last effort, she pushed. Mel didn't know when she'd fallen to the ground, but when she opened her eyes they landed on Harry's, and she knew what she had to do, but he had to agree. However, Harry was currently not in charge of his body.

"Kill me now, Dumbledore..." The boy spoke, the voice that came out didn't belong to him. "If death is nothing, Dumbledore, kill the boy..."

"No," Mel breathed, fighting to ground herself, the pain was slowly vanishing, but she didn't know if it was because of her doings, or something far worse. "Harry, please..."

She felt him slipping away... then, just as she was losing hope, something tugged at the back of her mind. 

Harry. 

She thought of the day she'd gazed into his eyes wanting to give him the world, that day she had no idea of what that meant. Now she knew, but she didn't want to give it up anymore. Mel was making the biggest sacrifice she could think of: She would give up Harry and continue the fight. Somehow, she felt Harry making the same vow to her. 

Voices echoed around the hall but Harry kept his eyes on her, she knew he couldn't possibly be seeing her since his glasses had fallen out of his face, but he was looking directly into her eyes as if he knew exactly where to find her soul.

The boy reached out to grab his glasses and carefully put them on, Dumbledore kneeled between them.

"Are you all right?"

"Yes," Harry let his head fall with a soft thud, his eyes going back to her face. "Yeah, I'm — where's Voldemort, where — who are all these — what's —"

Dumbledore helped them up, Mel was too tired to question anything.

"He was there! I saw him, Mr Fudge, I swear, it was You-Know-Who, he grabbed a woman and Disapparated!"

"I know, Williamson, I know, I saw him too! Merlin's beard — here — here! — in the Ministry of Magic! — great heavens above — it doesn't seem possible — my word — how can this be?"

"If you proceed downstairs into the Department of Mysteries, Cornelius," said Dumbledore, catching everyone's attention. "You will find several escaped Death Eaters contained in the Death Chamber, bound by an Anti-Disapparation Jinx and awaiting your decision as to what to do with them."

"Dumbledore!" Fudge panted. "You — here — I — I — Seize him!"

"Wouldn't do that if I were you —" Mel stepped forward but she stumbled, Harry held her back gently.

"Cornelius, I am ready to fight your men — and win again! But a few minutes ago you saw proof, with your own eyes, that I have been telling you the truth for a year. Lord Voldemort has returned, you have been chasing the wrong men for twelve months, and it is time you listened to sense!"

"I — don't — well — Very well — Dawlish! Williamson! Go down to the Department of Mysteries and see... Dumbledore, you — you will need to tell me exactly — the Fountain of Magical Brethren — what happened?"

"We can discuss that after I have sent Harry and Mel back to Hogwarts," said Dumbledore.

"Harry — Harry Potter?" Fudge turned and stared at them, "Mel Dumbledore? He-here? Why — what's all this about?"

"I shall explain everything when they're back at school."

He walked away from the pool to the place where the golden wizard's head lay on the floor. He pointed his wand at it and muttered, "Portus." The head glowed blue and trembled noisily against the wooden floor for a few seconds, then became still once more.