Chapter Five

Marcus pulled the minivan through the Village of Hartland, then turned into the driveway which lead into the cemetery. He drove passed where he had stopped the day before, but stopped right where the cemetery sloped down.

“I can see Mommy’s grave from here!” Tracy exclaimed. She looked at Cassandra, who was seated next to her in the middle row. “You would have really liked my mother,” she said.

“How do you know?” Cassandra said.

“Because I like you.”

Marcus motioned for the girls to quiet down, then stepped outside the van to run his sweep. As he was passing the rear of the van, Chad pulled into the cemetery driving a police cruiser. Another police officer was riding with him.

“Good morning, Chad,” Marcus said, lowering his shotgun.

“Looks like its going to be a great day,” Chad said. He gave the officer a gesture, then looked back at Marcus. “Mind if we talked a little bit? Lieutenant Davis can watch after the girls.”

Marcus shrugged. “Sure.”

They talked about damage to the library while they waited Davis escorted Tracey and Cassandra down the hill and out of earshot.

“Lolita called the police department six times requesting to transfer Cassandra to the training facility up north. I urged her to be patient, and even pointed out that there is an excellent school here for kids like her, but Lolita wouldn’t hear it.”

“She’s never been a fan of VanNocker’s school,” Marcus agreed. “Although, it would break Tracey’s heart if Cassandra had to leave. I’ve never seen her get attached to anybody like this before.” Not since her mother, Marcus thought.

“Well, after what both girls told us about Cassandra’s past, I sent the blood sample they took from her yesterday to the lab for analysis, thinking that it might help us find her parents.”

“And?”

“It could take a while for them to search the database. I’ve recommended that Cassandra stay with you in the meantime.”

“That’s alright. I think Tracey would enjoy that.”

“So, it’s settled. This will hopefully get Mrs. Burns off of my back.”

They approached Tina’s gravestone, where the girls were sitting quietly.

“I have good news,” Markus said. “Chief Whittaker is making arrangements for Cassandra to stay with us a little bit longer.”

“And go with me to school?” Tracey asked.

“I’m sure Mrs. VanNocker can always make room for one more,” Chad said. He glanced at Cassandra. “If that’s okay with you.”

Cassandra smiled. “I think I’d like that.”

“Look Daddy,’ Tracey pointed towards the gravestone where the girls had laid down the flowers they brought. “This time we brought two flowers.”