WITW- Chapter One

Charlotte's POV.

*Flashback*

Tears. Tears were all I could see as I woke up. Everyone was moping, or siting and staring at the blank walls. The walls that held us. There was no way out. Not out of here. The food was basically cardboard-like toast every morning and the same every night. Once a week, maybe less or maybe more, a couple of some description would come and if you were lucky, you would get saved.

Saved from the orphanage. Saved from the ladies with nothing better to do than hold us helpless orphans hostage.

The walls were an ugly grey-brown, the paint peeling in every room. Doctors were always called in because the little ones were so hungry they tried to fill themselves up on paint peelings.

I know from experience.

The doors screamed on their hinges, wanting to be beautiful once more. These doors were only lockable from the outside, unlucky for us.

The rooms were all laid out the same way. Two mattress on the ground, one cardboard box for three sets of clothing per each girl, a hairbrush between two and any other items you managed to salvage from whatever life you had before. The life you may never see again.

I was only two months at the time, and all foster parents had given up on girl with gold eyes. I'm glad I don't remember it. It is such a shame that the earliest memories aren't often too good. I should know. The front door opened and out popped an overly happy lady with bright red lipstick and silk clothing. They put me in a room before signing a form, leaving me and never returning.

The walls always closed in when you felt even the slightest on the happy side, drowning your positive thoughts until you returned to the doomed ghost walking the halls to escape your thoughts. The walls were the only thing that kept me company until Maddy came. She had been in a car crash, her parents killed. No one in her family came forward, so she was sent here. To distract me from the walls.

Written in these walls were stories that I can't explain, and little did I know my story had just begun...

*Flashback ended*

"GET UP! WE HAVE PEOPLE COMING TO ADOPT SOMEONE SOON SO GET UP AND PRESENT YOURSELVES" came the annoying ladies voice. Always on my tail. I was never good enough. 'Brush your hair again it looks knotty', or 'Clean the dirt off your face'.

I have been in this haunted orphanage for thirteen years now, no one ever gave me a second glance. But I never had a chance whether I was to go down stairs or not.

I got up from the uncomfortable mattress, who might I add has been with me these thirteen years, and dragged my feet over to Maddy's mattress to wake her up.

She sleeps like a rock.

She groaned and turned over, looking at me. I gave her the same sympathetic glance I gave her last time people came. She always wanted to sleep through the activity of adoption papers and whatnot. Everyone did. Aside Stella who was so far up her own butt she thought everyone loved a 'pretty' girl like her.

Her words.

No one liked Stella, she was to arrogant go her own good. She dislikes all the girls here, and we all return the favour.

I changed into the same dirty underwear I wore yesterday and threw a long t-shirt over top. Basically the only thing we wore. The ladies, Alice and Jane, didn't want to waste their precious money on outcasts like us. So no one liked them either.

I quickly brushed my hair while Maddy got ready and we walked into the corridor, hoping to just sleep the rest of the day away.

Zayn's POV.