She Responded

Everyone scurried everywhere preparing for the incoming year; Ray unfortunately buried with nagging children as they cooked food, Don and Gillian outside taking the lead for fireworks alongside Thoma and Lannion with Anna and Zack worriedly supervising them, and Gilda helping with the props and decorations.

Everyone was busy. Everyone, except Norman.

The fuss and noise of his joyful family uplifted him of course, but they insisted on letting him rest because they believed all the commotion would stress him out even more having been busy managing many things in the human world for the past months.

Apparently they were right. However, that wasn't mainly why he was troubled at the moment.

Norman got up and decided to roam. He stepped out of his office headed for the balcony.

There were huge windows in their current location that showcased the glorious night sky outside. The sun had just set, giving the sky hues of blues and purple along with a few stars twinkling.

Norman took his time, taking one step at a time as he walked and enjoyed the view. He could still hear the chatters of his family, with Ray arguing about the ingredients his siblings were putting and Anna's worrisome remarks about sparklers.

"Hey HEY! No Alicia that's salt not sugar!" Ray roared.

"Are you sure these would be safe for the younger children?" he heard Anna say.

"Where's the fun in that?" Don murmured.

"Safety comes first." Anna insisted.

"Alright alright I'll watch over them handle the sparklers..." Don said a bit dismayed.

"That's more like it!" Anna happily clapped.

"Gilda I can't find the ribbons!" Jemima whined.

"It's all right, Jemima. Here just hang these bells in the Christmas tree and I'll look for the ribbons." Gilda said. "No running!"

Norman sighed. Some things never change.

But some do.

The blue-eyed young lad stopped in his tracks and eyed the sky above him through a window. Lost in his thoughts.

Emma.

Her name pierced through his heart like an arrow and it pained him.

Emma changed. With her memories gone, she will never be the same enthusiastic girl he knew all his life.

That no longer is her name even....

Norman continued to trudge his way up the staircase slowly, still in his somber delirium.

Finally, he reached the top and made his way towards the balcony. He'd have to say he took Ray's advice literally when he said "Breathe some fresh air, Norman." And so he did. He turned the doorknob and quietly swung the doors leading to the balcony open.

There he was greeted by a sudden whiff of the cool winter breeze. And...

"Emma?"

The beautiful orange-curled maiden already stood in the balcony before him, staring into the sky above them until she heard the door rattle behind her and his voice afterwards.

"I'm sorry I mean-" Norman quickly shook his head.

She quickly turned her head and looked at him.

Norman stared at her. Partially because he was still in love with her, and partially because she responded.

She responded to his call.

She responded to her previous name.

"B-but...that's no longer..." he stammered.

"It's okay." She beamed. "You can still call me Emma."

Norman smiled with her, seeing her bright forest green eyes glisten under the moonlight.

He entered the balcony and leaned on the handrail beside her.

Her hair had grown longer and wavier except for her signature antennas that remained still on her head. She looked beautiful in a simple brown coat.

From afar, they watched as Don fired some test fireworks. They cheered as it soared in the air and turned to color the sky red.

"Time is so fast." Emma sighed.

"Yeah..." Norman nodded.

Norman looked at her once again. It was about time he picked up from where he left off back at Gracefield wherein Mama stopped him.

They were free, and no one would be stopping him now.

It was now or never.

"Em-"

"Norman."

Norman flinched upon hearing his name.

Their siblings' and the other Goldy Ponds' chatter were getting louder and more excited as midnight approached.

However they still had time, and whatever she had to say, he would listen.

"Yes?"

Emma was looking up at the dark blanket of stars above them, murmuring whatever she had in mind.

"I've been thinking...and for the past weeks I've been trying so hard...to at least remember a few things..." Emma stammered.

"Emma..." Norman murmured, worried. "We told you...you don't have to remember..."

Emma started tearing up.

Norman got shaken seeing her cry. "Emma...we still love you even for who you are right now...with memories or none...you are still our Emma."

"It's not that it's just..." Emma stammered, sobbing.

Everyone was scurrying, preparing to greet the incoming year. The younger kids were running around and jumping excited to see the fireworks Don and Gillian prepared.

"It's funny actually." Emma wiped her eyes. "How...even though I cannot remember anything...my heart does..."

Norman was intently listening to her.

"You know that funny feeling...my head knows nothing but my heart seems to remember..." Emma laughed through tears and shrugged. "Ah...what am I saying..."

"No no I completely understand what you are trying to say." Norman assured with a smile. "You mean...your heart simply just knows?"

"Yes." Emma's cheeks were turning pink.

Norman nodded. "Simply knows what though?"

"My heart simply knows and has always been telling me that..."

Everyone started counting down below them. Everyone was cheering holding sparklers and some even food.

Norman panicked quite a bit overwhelmed but it was alright.

"THREE, TWO, ONE...HAPPY NEW YEAR!"

Don and Gillian fired the first fireworks and it soared in the sky sending gigantic colors flying in the night. The kids followed, and with Anna and Zack's supervision, waved tiny sparklers in the air like shooting stars.

The sky was beautiful. The stars sparkled and glistened in their eyes.

It was now or never.

"I have always loved you, Emma."

"...I have always loved you, Norman."

Their eyes met, shocked.