Underneath The Mistletoe

"Come on, (Y/n)." Your best friend's voice called from the entrance of your room. "Everyone is waiting for you downstairs."

"No, they're waiting for you, (F/n)," you said. You peeked from your Harry Potter book before returning to your story. "I don't like parties."

It was true. Since you were in high school, you despised standing in a room full of hundreds of people that you didn't know. It earned you the name "Mr. Introvert," that followed you until you graduated from high school.

What could you say? The more people there are moving around, the more you realize that someone's sweat just entered your punch. That was something you'd hate to happen.

"It won't be enjoyable without you there," your BFF whined.

You would honestly think after being friends for over 8 years that he would get the hint that you hated parties. Heck, you even attend the same school and he still tries to drag you along to a party or a "get-together" during midterms and finals season.

Unlike you, your best friend was about as social as a human being could get. He knew everyone and their entire families. You could not name one person who hasn't met or heard of his name on campus.

Just a week before, your barista asked about him while you were just getting a cup of hot chocolate to combat the freezing weather outside. It was simple. When people saw you, they immediately asked about him. It was as if you existed only in his shadow.

You placed your bookmark on the page you were on and sat up. Your cool eyes met his warm and fuzzy smile. "(F/n), you know I don't like parties. I never have. So, what difference would it make if I went or not?"

He looked up at the ceiling and stroked his invisible beard. "Do you believe in Christmas miracles?"

"What?" You said with resentment in your voice.

"You know. Like maybe you'll meet your soulmate under the mistletoe or meet a famous celebrity. You know, Kelly from high school met that football player the same year we graduated."

"That isn't called a miracle. That's what we call a 'coincidence'."

He sighed and shook his head. His eyes met yours and his arms crossed his chest. "Listen, (Y/n). Since we've been here, you have never stuck out of your shell. You block people and instead, keep your nose hidden away inside of a book. Don't you think with all your hard work, you deserve some form of relaxation. Even if it's just for tonight?"

You looked at your bookshelf which sat diagonally from where you laid. It was full of fantasy, mystery, and action novels written by well-known authors. For good reason, too. You wanted to become a writer one day and become famous for your work.

Your best friend had a point, though. Year after year, the number of books increased by the bulk from the amount you read. It led you to wonder if it was a bad thing to give it a break just this once. It was Christmas Eve afterall.

Your gaze returned to your friend. You took a deep breath as you mentally began regretting your decision. "Fine, just this once. I wi-"

"Great!" He cut you off and cheered. "Hurry up and get dressed in something formal but casual. I'll meet you downstairs." With that, he seemingly vanished before your eyes.

You stood up and stretched. Your body felt stiff as if you were sitting for a decade or two. I haven't been reading for that long, have I, you thought to yourself.

You made your way to the closet and opened the double doors. "Something formal but casual," you repeated. You scanned your closet before a certain suit caught your eye. "Perfect."